Foiling Windsurfer: New AFS French Design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

2. yagon

yagon Junior Member

Very interesting. A question I have about the foiling windsurfer is whether it can go upwind effectively.

The issue that I see with foiling windsurfers is that there are too many degrees of freedom to provide usable lateral force to drive upwind. That is, with the universal mast joint, the board rotates/twists when large lateral forces are generated by fins.

There are 2 sailboard designs that go upwind well, both of which rely on the force/lift of the board on the water to resist with twisting force:

1. Formula boards. The lift on the leeward section of the board around the fin provides lift to counter the twisting force.

2. Raceboards. Again, the board provides lift to counter the lateral force of the fin. Given the narrow width of the boards compared to formula boards, the board 'rails'.

I believe that kiteboards don't have this issue with degrees of freedom because of the boot-style fixtures, but I'd like confirmation of this.

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of foiling sailboards in terms of going upwind?

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Foilers!

You might e-mail the guy who does the French site "Foilers!"-you can find contact info here. He was among the first to publicize this foiler windsurfer and knows at least one of the guys involved.

http://foils.wordpress.com/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.