Masters in Aerospace Engineering

Discussion in 'Education' started by LostInBoston, Aug 29, 2006.

1. LostInBoston

LostInBoston Junior Member

Anyone here have a degree in aerospace engineering. Looking at new boat designs running over 200 they have more in common with jets, then other boats. I have been accepted to an ocean engineering program, but am thinking about aerospace instead, or in addition, or at least a school that will let me take some classes as an elective. So which schools have both, besides MIT and FIT. Preferably closer to NYC.
    -Rick

2. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

One of our naval archs has a dual degree in aero and NAME, from Michigan, and has done a lot in America's Cup hydrodynamics and testing, as well as a lot of other sailing and planing craft work.

3. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Aero-engineers are very versatile. When you get right down to it, it's all just fluids and bodies. (kinda makes engineering sound like a roman orgy when I put it that way, eh?)

I'm not an AE, although I've dated a few and taken a couple of classes and I stayed at a Holiday Inn once. I think an Aero would have an easier time going to Nautical than vice versa. My advice is to study the most demanding subject possible. You can always dumb yourself down later. But on the other hand, Masters degrees are not like Bachelors. When working on a Masters, you're going to be more focused on what you are doing or want to do. As such, if you find a program that will let you further your career and is predesigned for what you want to do, then that's better than trying to reinvent the wheel.

As for other schools, don't forget the school of Neil Armstrong and 18 other astronauts.... Purdue University. Sure Stanford also offers Aero-Engineering, but I've been in classes at both universities and I'll tell you that Purdue engineers are better/more practical and sharper on their calculations. There's no doubt in my mind who I'd rather have building a WIG.

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I attended a hovercraft and WIG symposium at Rose Hulman, a popular tee shirt said; Friends don't let friends go to Purdue.:D

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/
    U.S. News Ranks Rose-Hulman #1
    For Eighth Consecutive Year

They don't offere degrees in either subject, and I never went there (Lawrence Tech & U of M), but they have a beautiful campus. I just thought the tee shirt was funny.

Back on topic:
    You might want to read this article, may give you an idea of future markets.

Link:
    http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/PRINT/jjmmifer2.html
    In the United States 29 states border navigational waterways in the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean as well as the Gulf of Mexico and the Great Lakes.............While late turning to this transportation alternative, the United States is wasting no time. According to U.S. Government estimates, the United States now leads the world in fast ferry growth.

5. Toot

Toot Senior Member

And Purdue has Tshirts that say, "Notre Dame football sucks!"

Regardless of ranking, it hurts when deep down, you know you're inferior. ;)

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

For the most part, true - true - true.

Then there are old habits.

[​IMG]

People can be very silly.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.