Naval architecture majors in Universities.

Discussion in 'Education' started by akashmenon, May 27, 2013.

1. akashmenon

akashmenon Marine Engineer

I am an student from India and I wish to pursue my higher education in the Marine and Naval archetecture field as my dad works in the same.
    I have queries regarding admissions to the 'University of Michigan' in Ann Arbor,MI. I could hardly find out the exact entry requirements- I have an SAT score of 1890(writing:540;reading:610;Math:740). Although the admissions are granted on a holistic basis-numbers are easier to compare! Would this score suffice? I plan to send my application early(early action -admission). I went through their curricula and found the subjects quite interesting. Any advice from graduates or anyone who has whatsoever knowledge regarding Umich?
    I have also considered applying at the Australian maritime college in Tasmania. I would really love to have advice regarding the two universities!
    Thank you.
    Akash M Menon.

2. akashmenon

*architecture (sorry for the mishap)

3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Akashmenon, I have met a number of NA's I respect that went to U of M. It's a fine school that I can only find 2 faults with. 1) they are an hour or two drive from large bodies of water (only water on the horizon) but that gets you to Chicago so OK, and 2) they have a football team with the ugliest imaginable helmets which they wear to their big rivalry game only to be humiliated in defeat year after year. You are tempted to respect them for their spirit in the wake of so many defeats but as they file into the stadium in those hideous helmets fingers raised chanting 'we're number one!' you realize these people suffer from some serious delusions! It seems to be inescapable, so even though you have no interest in american football now, you are certain to graduate with this same sad affliction.

Eric is an NA from U of M and very helpful -drop him a line.
    http://sponbergyachtdesign.com/ArticlesDesigner.htm

You can find enrollment guidance here
    http://name.engin.umich.edu/perspective-students

Good luck!

4. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. Previous Member

That's cool Akashmenon, I am also think of going to U of M (will take a while)
    Hope this thread will help both of us.

5. akashmenon

Thank you for your response! Any idea about te SAT scores?

6. akashmenon

I sure hope so!

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Chicago is 200 miles west of Ann Arbor, and driving time from Ann Arbor to Chicago is about four hours. Along the way you go around the southern tip of Lake Michigan. The closest location on Lake Michigan to Ann Arbor is about 130 miles away.

Lake Erie is slightly over 30 miles away, and Lake Huron is about 85 miles away.

8. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Your SAT scores look fine to me, but I do not know with any certainty. Contact them for the official answer. That's their job.

I have read news articles that US universities are pursuing 'full price' out-of-state and foreign students for budget purposes. Additionally there is an effort to change immigration policy to encourage engineers and scientists to study and stay in the US after graduation with easier visa and citizenship -its the strongest part of an immigration bill.

9. akashmenon

Thank you for the response!

10. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Junior Member

Your SAT scores look very good, but Michigan is a very selective school, so I suggest you consider studying and trying to get even better scores before applying, if you think it could help. When I was a high school student I took the SAT twice and with very little studying was able to improve my score a lot, being able to see clearly the parts that I needed help with.

If you can believe about.com, the 25th percentile and 75th percentile for students admitted to Michigan are

SAT Critical Reading: 610 / 700
    SAT Math: 650 / 760
    SAT Writing: 620 / 720

You're nearly as high as the 75th percentile in math, but lag in reading and writing. Obviously math is a stronger focus for engineering applicants, but all your scores are important.

11. Ike

Ike Senior Member

My SATs were ok ,except math which was dismal, and my high school grade point average was above average but not superb. The U of M still accepted me. They shouldn't have. I did miserable in Chemistry and Math and they asked me to leave. Which I did. I graduated 35 years later somewhere else but not as an NA.

That said, It is an excellent school especially in Naval Architecture. Apply. They can only say yes or no. If they say yes Hurrah! If they say no you haven't really lost anything. There are other schools that teach NA that are lot less difficult to get into. But if you do get in, keep in mind, this is a huge school. They have about 43,000 students, both undergraduate and graduate. In Ann Arbor alone there are three campuses. The competition for grades is unbelievable.

Yes the Wolverines teams suck, GO BIG BLUE! But in the 60's they were one of the best in almost all sports and now occasionally break out of the cellar and do something spectacular. As long as they beat Ohio, I don't care what else they do.

So go for it.

12. akashmenon

Pardon me for the late reply!
    Thank you for the information!
    I will look forward to the application with more optimism than before.
    _______
    Akash M Menon

13. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

I've worked with a number of IIT grads over the years and was always very impressed.

Does IIT still grant NA degrees?

14. akashmenon

Yes, If I'm not mistaken, IIT-Kharagpur offers Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture.( http://www.iitkgp.ac.in/academics/?page=acads# )

The entry requirements to any of the IIT's in India is based on an examination called the Joint Entrance Exam(JEE-Main) which is taken by a large part of the student population. Following this exam there is another exam (JEE-Advanced) which allows one to be eligible for candidature to the IIT's. (note:the number of people who write these exams are nearly 400 times the number of seats available) This means that there is stiff competition and only a few manage to secure seats. Since the bar has been set high, the quality of graduates is also quite good.

(I tend to believe they're bookworks: sorry, just my opinion because I had to study all that stuff too till i was done with the JEE)

Hope it was somewhat helpful!

1 person likes this.

15. Arviya

Arviya New Member

University of New Orleans is equally good offering Under Grad NAME degree. It is the best place to study in term of Economic criteria.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.