Interlux epoxy primekote and perfection topcoat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by GWB, Feb 14, 2008.

1. GWB

GWB Junior Member

Has anybody used this combination for painting a fiberglass deck and cabin?

It appears that this might be easier to use than the awlgrip setup.

"Interlux Epoxy Primekote is a multi-purpose two-part epoxy primer for use above the waterline. Epoxy Primekote is an excellent under coater for Perfection 2-Part Polyurethane finishes.
    Epoxy Primekote is used as a sanding surface to smooth rough lay-up and to resurface cracked and crazed gelcoat. Epoxy Primekote should also be used to overcoat clear epoxies to eliminate the effects of amine blush."

Almost sounds too good to be true!

2. Eric S

Eric S New Member

Hello GWB

I just finished a bow pulpit/deck project on my Ocean Yachts 45 SS using the Interlux products you are considering. This was the first time I had tackled this type of project so I followed the directions to the letter and everything worked great! The entire repair was done in two-part epoxy products.

Interlux recommends their Surface Prep YMA 601 to remove the blush which seemed to work fine. I used the Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202 between all coats of primer and final finish.

Since I was refinishing a deck surface, the entire repair was anti-skid which made some of the common problems like orange peel not such a big deal.
    I mixed Interlux's anti-skid material into my first Perfection coat and rolled it on. I rolled two coats w/o anti-skid over that and am super happy with the texture I got. I also used their flattening agent as I did not want a glossy deck surface.

If I was working on a hull or other shiny surface I would want to spend some time practicing my tipping technique as well as different amounts of thinner. I think one of the secrets to a high quality finish on non-textured surfaces is the paint consistency for the final coats.

It is not quite as simple for a first timer as Interlux wants to make you think but with just a little fore thought, research and planning, it is very doable. Like I said, I'm very happy with my results and would not do anything differently.

Eric

Attached Files:

3. GWB

GWB Junior Member

Good job !

Thanks for the reply

4. Kamaloha

Kamaloha New Member

I used this combination on topsides plus deck ten years ago. It's still holding up perfectly. I sprayed the paint with an HVLP sprayer (serious respirator required). I sprayed the nonskid, microballoons and all. I was amazed - it came out as uniform as sandpaper. I've never seen a better nonskid. I used three coats of Barrierkote (now called Primekote) primer and one coat of "Perfection" (it was called Interthane Plus back then).:)

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Yep, I was once a "preferred" International applicator in Sydney, so we did a lot of work for them using these products, you can use them quite safely without fear.

6. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

I have used International 709 two pack polyurethane as its called over here quite a few times. Personally though it can give good results i dont like it. I found it very prone to orange peel and it had to be over thinned to spray well.
    Last spray job i did was with Blakes two pack poly at the owners insistence due to the colour. That went on well but it was a very soft finish that did not last.
    The best two pack i have found is Epifanes two pack Polyurethane, which gives a superb hard wearing finish, Just done a deck with it by brushing & its come out looking great.

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

keith,

"it had to be over thinned to spray well"......yes as per normal.....

Did you not overthin the Epifanes just the same?

My preferrence is Awlcraft or Sterling anyhow for top quality finishes, GWB was just asking about the International product.

8. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

The Epifanes didnt require nearly as much thinner as the International. Also if brushing it there is a dedicated brush thinner as well as the spray thinners.