Good finish for Interlux Epoxy 3000/3001 primer/barrier coat?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by stimulous check, Jul 18, 2009.

1. stimulous check

stimulous check Junior Member

I have a 90's hull where the gelcoat has been rough sanded for ablative bottom paint that is in bad shape. Also has some dings on the chines that I need to fair with epoxy. After thorough sanding, I'm thinking of using Interlux 3000/3001 barrier coat - good choice or is there better? And what should the uv-protecting finish be for 3000/3001? With the work, I'd like to arrive at a hard, durable, protective, and smooth surface. Boat speed is in the mid 50 to 65 mph range.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Top coat options abound, from acrylic house paint, available at Wal-Mart to 2, 3 and 4 part paint systems that make you cry when you have to buy a gallon, for the price of the stuff.

The two part LPU's will provide the best gloss, finish, durability and shine retention. These types of paint will be on orders of magnitude better then the others. Single part polyurethanes are next down the list, followed by the modified alkyds, then the straight alkyds, then the acrylics.

3. stimulous check

stimulous check Junior Member

Thanks PAR!

I'm not a painter, but most of the sales sites note in their fine print that their "top coat" paints are not for underwater! So I'm looking for any specifics on what to buy that hopefully I can apply myself that will hold up (I don't have a sprayer, but could buy one if not super expensive and it's necessary vs. brushing). I want a white finish coat, and don't need or want the antifouling of a standard bottom paint. I also don't want to paint a waterline on this boat as I'd prefer the bottom be all one color for looks in the water and on the trailer, but I'm afraid having the 3000/3001 exposed will yellow or degrade from UV.

4. ian_upton

ian_upton Junior Member

I used Interlux VC performance epoxy on my Bertram 25.

It is a hard epoxy bottom paint with Teflon. It does not have anti-fouling properties so it is best for trailer or rack stored boats.

My finish was sprayed and I was very pleased with the results.

Ian.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You don't have to spray to get a really a nice (like sprayed) finish.

Underwater paint is limited to the amount of time you will have the boat in the water.

If the boat will be moored or berthed for long periods, then you have no choice but to use anti fouling bottom paint. If on the other hand you will trailer the boat and it'll never be in the drink more the a day or two at a time, then conventional top coats will work.

Read up on roll and tipping methods. You can get very good finishes this way, without a spray gun. Also check out anti fouling bottom paints.