Ideas for 32' Yawl

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by milljfred, Apr 15, 2009.

1. milljfred

milljfred New Member

Hi,
    Just joined because this site seemed to be very insightful. I have a 1960 Melody 32' which is a yawl right. It is a single hard chine boat made of bronze stringers with plywood and poly glass over it. Because it is from 1960 the glass on the bottom is very worn and flaking off. So I need to replace it glass. I don't really know how to go about it and what is the easiest.

This boat has had some soggy issues in it because there are cracks in the glass... which i hear is common with a boat like this. Some folks on here said that it would be best to not cover in glass if it sits at a pin or on a dock. THe deck will need to be recovered too.

what would you recommend for recovering?

i heard dyrel is good to use, but i have never used it

should I even recover? or just epoxy the hull and then paint.

i was worried if i did recover that it would be hard to fair the boat out afterwards...

i would love to hear some ideas.

thanks,
    john