Labor Crews

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 123ronc, Jun 15, 2011.

1. 123ronc

123ronc New Member

I'm looking for leads to one or more labor crews for the construction of fiberglass boats.

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

In Tampa? What kind of boat(s)? How many? Do you have a location?

I am not aware of any "labor crews" of skilled fiberglass boatbuilders but the skills you need should be plentiful in the Bay area.

In Sarasota the Wellcraft/Hydrasports plant closed and moved a couple of years ago putting several hundred boatbuilders out of work. Same for Donzi only more recently. And Lazarra in Tampa laid off most of their workforce a year or so ago but is starting production again, but at reduced production.

The Bay area has a history of fiberglass boatbuilding from Sarasota to Tarpon Springs, there are plenty of skilled craftsman available with the skills you need.

You could probably easily find a small boatbuilder that would take on a project to help them keep production up. Provide a little more information and maybe I could point you in the right direction.

Steve

3. 123ronc

123ronc New Member

Thanks for the fast reply. This is for 2 twenty foot boats per month. Looking for an independent contractor crew to do all fiberglass work at a fixed per boat price.

4. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

What kind of 20ft boats. There are a few boatbuilders I can think of right off but they may balk at building something that might compete with what they build.

Steve

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

tell more about the job !!CHOPPER GUNS, GELCOAT GUNS ,Hand laminating specialized lay ups building boats to survey standards etc etc its my life i been doing this for long time . I teach instruct and project manage from small runabouts 16 foot to 60 foot sail boats even done work for 174 foot super yachts . Been project managing in south Korea , Japan and now in China ready to depart in a months time to find greener pastures and a new brand new challenge . :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.