Interior design ideas.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Arvy, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi all,

I was wondering about interior design for sailboats and the pretty much uselesness of the chart table you see everwhere (at least on production boats). As most of the time one never uses it (except to store the charts in :p ). But i have sailed quite a number of different boats (in the range of 27 to 34 foot) and have never used the table.

When you need the chart to plan a route, you do it on the dinette table (the chart table is most of the time to small). And when I want to take a look on the chart while sailing, I prefer to do that in the cockpit.

This has been discussed several times, but I am wondering, does anyone have any examples of interiors of sailboats without a charttable? I am quite curious how people layout their interior with the extra space (I honestly have a hard time figuring out how to make good use of it).

Grtz,
    Arvy

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Interesting. Personally, I like to be able to look at a paper chart of the area. Some trips, (just across the solent) I might not worry too much. I have mapping GPS anyway. However, I do also have a racing chart taped to the side of the boat for quick reference. Sometimes it's just handy when you're discussing passages with clubmates.
    Before now, I have planned pilotage out of one of the nastiest harbours on the south coast (Poole) with just a paper chart, ship's compass and eyeball. Now, I'd probably enter the route on the GPS. But that's right, I still have a compass, and I'd draw the route on the chart (laminated chart in cockpit).
    However, If I were venturing East (where I rarely go because there's not much nice stuff), or trying to get into a small cove for an anchorage (some have entrances about twice the beam of a yacht) I'd very much like a chart table to plan it at. Preferably with a good calculator and a GPS terminal.
    You will find, if you do longer voyages, that you use the chart table more. I am a great advocate of marine electronics (to a point far more advanced than currently available) but I am also aware that the fastest way to get something to fail is to put it near salt water. If it fails, you must be able to navigate by hand and compass. It's a great shame that so few owners actually can.

Removing the chart table is only slightly less stupid than telling me that prospective owners only use the galley when they're in the marina or at anchor. Let's see some good well-thought-out interiors that actually work in modern yachts for a change.

Tim B.

3. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi Tim,

I agree with you regarding the use of maps and navigating by hand and compass. I also use a laminated chart in the cockpit, and have so far never used any mapping gps equipment. I only used a gps which shows you the coordinates as numbers. I never did use the options though to plan a route on the GPS itself, I just draw it in the chart and check coordinates once every hour or so (except for difficult places) to check if I am still on the route using the compass and log. In my new to be designed boat I will install a mapping gps though :D (I still want to learn how to use a sextant by the way)

Perhaps when on longer trips I might use the chart table more, and it is also a nice place to have your equipment next to. But I think it would make sense to have that equipment close to the dinette when not having a chart table (I have seen this often in 25 foot boats) where there is no room for a real chart table. Furthermore when planning a route we always do that together, so that we both know what we planned, and it is very hard to sit at a chart table with 2.

Saying that the galley is only to be used at anchor or in the marina is plain stupid indeed.

So I am very curious about a practical interior designs other people have without a charttable. I am certain there are people that have that on the forum as I have read that in several threads. The space of the charttable must be used effectively, otherwise you can just put in a charttable anyway :D

Grtz,
    Arvy

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

My point was that if you physically can't fit a chart table in (which may be the case) then you can't just get rid of all the normal paper navigation bits. For passage planning I agree that it's nice to do the general plan together, but you need to be able to work out the details without having dinner plates around you. Hence the NAV table. Progressively, the Nav table is becoming more of an area for electronic control too. So, if removed, there will be various switch panels, VHF, GPS etc. to find homes for. The bigger the boat is, the more complex it gets. Also, I see us progressing to complete vessel monitoring systems (in fact the technology is nothing new), so there will be a multitude of computer bits around the Nav table as well. In fact, a lot of the big ocean racing yachts have nav stations that don't look too much short of NASA's mission control.

As for practicle interior design, it really depends on the boat in question. All interiors for all boats will be designed from scratch. I often find it's easiest to start at the bow and work aft, butthere are main bulkheads which will naturally partition the space. The thing to watch out for is wide open spaces, and glossy floors. They look nice but they're very hard to walk on when the boat is sailing.

Tim B.

5. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi Tim,

What do you think of the interior design of this yacht? it is a 33 footer

http://www.marieholm.nl/marinecente...item/5685/8757/MARIEHOLM 33 - INTERIEUR.html#

There is a drawing of the interior on the right side of the page, but you'll have to scroll down far, when hovering your mouse over it, you can see pictures of it. As you can see there, the chart table has been created almost inside the dinette, which allows one to create a slightly larger head and galley. All equipment can be seen next to one of the chairs. Let me know what you think of this one.

There is one negative think to say about this configuration, and that is that you can't go over to the chart table in rough weather without making the cabin wet more than absolutely necessary.

Grtz,
    Arvy

6. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Chart table is ok, but the galley will be pretty much useless at sea. There is also a wide open space at the bottom of the companion-way, which will make moving around the boat hard at any significant angle of heel.

Have a look at http://www.northshore.co.uk/index.php?p=southerly42rs/layout for a good interior.

Tim B.

7. CapKos

CapKos Junior Member

Hi Arvy,
    You are right. The chart table is useless, but people are so attached to chart tables, that designers usually describe with excitation how big is the chart table in his/her new design. Most of the time this is not so big either :). I used the dinette for charts, which is very comfortable, using the cockpit table for dinner. Here is a link to boat where the chart table was replaced with locker I think.
    http://www.sailthehighseas.com/about.html

Another possibility in my opinion is simply to make bigger galley. A working bench is also useful.

All the best,
    CapKos

8. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Hi Arvy, I do agree that some good thinking is required about the interior and that some spaces need more justification that they get at the moment.
    To dedicate so much space to the occasional use that you have the chart fully spread out is a waste. However if you have the chart table surface more easily accessible for 2 people by having it against the wall en you face the hull when sitting, you cen have at least 2 people sitting side by side using teh space as an offcie desk for their laptops for example. Or have a kind of lose standing island bench with a big flat surface that is used for charts, laptops and work area. that will also break the space in half and will act as a barrier when in rougher seas.
    You still ahve a large flat area close to the cockpit and galley and it is multi purpose.

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The BEST part of a chart table is they usually hold the charts below , so you know where to look , rather than behind bunks etc.

ON our 33ft 90/90 the chart table has an extra hinge/flap about 4in from thje rear. When the flap is up the chart table top is sloped and leaves a 3inch or so space at the front.
    So pencils , dividers , rule , and all the goodies simply slide where they can be located .

In port the extra space is flat and available for the cook.

If you don't plan in 3D you need a boat 2X the size!

FAST FRED

10. Tanton Yachts

Tanton Yachts Yacht Designer

Chart Table.

Navigation table, office space. To have it covers many functions. I would not consider a proper offshore sailboat without one.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.