Haines Signature Info - Can Anyone Help Please?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kiwisnapper, Nov 8, 2006.

1. kiwisnapper

kiwisnapper New Member

Greetings all from NZ

i was really hoping some of you talented and knowledgeable folk might be able to give some feedback/comment/advice on the following handling issues i've recently had with my haines signature.

the boat is 21ft long and was under licence by reflex products in nz in 1994. i am running a near new 200 merc (20 inch shaft )

this hull, as those who know this hull will know, has a gull wing arrangemnt at the stern, then steps into a good deadrise a little further up the hull.

when i first bought the hull, i simply believed the mtr was too low due to some porpising and a max rev of 5000, max speed 38mph. It just didnt seem to stack up and i even rechecked the motor but all was well. i didnt fart around and raised the motor height 2 holes immediatley resulting in 5250rpm and about 44mph - this still wasn't on! i always had the feeling that the back was being 'sucked' down ( this later proved to be the case ). as the height of the motor now looked to be max, and after trying to lift the stern a bit with different props, i was still scratching my head. ( prop by the way in 19inch 4 blader )

anyways, during yet another test, when a friend drove and i spent my whole time at the stern, the usual above stats ( speed revs ) were happening and all of a sudden, after skipping obviously the right combination of waves, the hull 'broke free' and soared in a matter of seconds to 56mph and about 5900 revs. this was nirvana, my friend was about to pull the throttle back until a horrid scream from me told him to move over and hang on. now that the hull was obviously performing how it should i needed to analyse it! further trimming resulted in 58mph ( gps ) and this was into a head wind, albeit a small one. the *** of the boat had sat right up, and the boat had flattened out considerably. interesting, fuel computer showed fuel usage had dropped by over 30%!!!! sounds too good to be true i know! i wanted to drive it all day like that having never had the boat perform that good before, but was satisfied that i had experienced the boats potential and was even more determined to find the glitch that was causing my problems.

google searches did not reveal anything so i tracked down ric haines in australia. the first thing he said was did it have a hole running vertically near the stern, from underneath hull upwards. i almost thought he was taking the mickey out of his kiwi neighbour but soon realised he wasn't. i stated that the only thing running vertically near the rear of the hull in the centre was some kind of structural support. he started laughing and said that this was no support, it was a hole that 'should' have gone through the hull to allow a venturi effect and the backside to lift up - some earlier owner had blocked it up and glassed over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as i write this it is being 'debunged' and i sit rubbing my hands with glee

despite what the above might suggest, i am not a rev head, just someone who knew the boat could go better.

my questions if anyone can help, are as follows, any thoughst or feedback would be truly appreciated

1.. is this rev/speed/prop stats now about right, or would trying a 21inch be worthwhile now. my boating is all fishing, decent length runs out to the good fisihing grounds ( 20 miles ) and then often trolling at about 7-8mph for hours on end for gamefish.

2. is there any other expereince or advice on thsi hull that anyone else can give - i want to do it right!

thank you kindly to all

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I take it that this is not the 2100s - I wouldn't like to fishing offshore in one of them!
    Assuming that your motor is supposed to max out at around 5800rpm, and that when you did your run the boat was fairly lightly laden, then your propping is probably about right. You could always try a 21, but I wouldn't rush out to buy one.

I'd also check with Haines regarding the recommended transom height - or rather shaft length - just to make sure the boat isn't s'posed to run a 25" shaft

3. tc42

tc42 New Member

Hi,

I owned a 1992 20ft haines signature (600LE), which included the vented rear tube -I believe your hull was based on the Haines Signature 630LE. I ran mine with a 150hp Merc, and it was good for 50mph with a 19" prop at just over 5,500rpm.

Haines would be best placed to comment here however I would suggest that you need to think about the two cases for this boat /motor.

i) When you are up on the plane your numbers would suggest that a bigger prop would give less RPM for a similar or slightly better to speed, and probably better economy. If you are going to be on the plane most of the time and your test load was typical of your usage load, I would try a 21"

ii) When the hull is off step ( ie rear fully attached), the hull is quite draggy and I would suggest that your 19" prop is if anything overloading the motor at these speeds.

I would therefore have a few trials at your intended trolling speeds with the 19" prop before changing anything. My boat was used primarily for trolling, and I found that a 17" prop gave me notably lower operating temperatures when trolling, and also stronger performance in the lower speed ranges which tend to be prevalent in open water boating.

Like gears in a car, the right selection depends on your intended usage and loading.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Kiwisnapper

Wellcome to the forum, nice well written storey. This post would have gone well in the thread 'like a golph ball' yeah funny title but thats about un-sticking boats from glutinous H2o.

5. kiwisnapper

kiwisnapper New Member

hey thanks guys, reallyu appreciate the words of wisdom.

it most certainly is the right length shaft ( 20 inches ) hell, i wouldn't mind a 20inch shaft either!!!

i will certainly just continue to play with the 19/21 and see what happens , will keep you posted, thanks again

6. kiwisnapper

kiwisnapper New Member

sorry, to add, the 'kiwi' model is a 2050, obviously suggesting 20.5feet in length. I know that the kiwi manufacturers gave different model and names to the hulls, even though they were the same as the aussie models. it seems to have the potential to go quite quick, for its size and weight, and the earlier comment where TC42 got 50mph with a 150 seems to confirm this.

any other handling or tuning advice would be lapped up faster than a gallon of my homebrew, again, regards and thanks

7. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Excellent point TC - I was just about to say something very similar!:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.