Ray Hunt early 16ft Deep Vee with Centerboard

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jpazzz, Mar 15, 2023.

1. jpazzz

jpazzz Junior Member

Hello Everybody, I've been thinking about Ray Hunt's development of the deep vee hull. I believe that one of the first two prototype examples was a 16ftr with automatic water ballast and a centerboard for (I think) slow speed maneuverability. I hope some one out there knows where the centerboard was located. I assume the little boat had an inboard engine and wonder if the centerboard was aft of the motor housing or forward of it. Anyone know? Sometimes people wonder why a question is being asked...in this case it's mostly the curiosity of an old, retired academic...although I have been thinking about a little, sheet plywood Deep vee for myself.

Thanks to anyone who reads this thread.

Cheers, John

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum John.

Nobody has replied yet, I think probably because nobody has ever heard of a fast deep vee powerboat with a centreboard - where would you put it?
    If it is forward of the motor (assuming a conventional straight shaft), I think it might make slow speed manoeuvering more difficult rather than easier if it was deployed.
    And if aft of the motor, then it would have to be aft of the rudder as well.

What are your current thoughts re a little sheet plywood deep vee boat for yourself - do you have any favourites?

3. jpazzz

jpazzz Junior Member

Hello Bajansailor, Thank you for your thoughts which sort of echo my own. The information that I'm basing my questions on are a result of Stan Grayson's rather fine book, A GENIUS AT HIS TRADE. And I should add that I'm only guessing about the boat being an inboard. If it were an outboard, where would you have placed a centerboard (which, by the way, Grayson mentions as being self retracting as speed picks up).

As to what little design I'm thinking about, probably the Glen-L Vivacity is first on my short list. It's a 14.5', 17 degree outboard which can be lengthened 10% which takes it up to 16'. One of the nice things about the design is that it has a softened keel sections aft...which some people might call a delta pad. Another advantage is that Witt's designs seem to be regularly finished by amateurs...I suspect because the construction details are really nicely worked out. Sixty-five or so years ago, I was a reasonably decent boats carpenter; I had to be since the boats I had were old and falling to bits. But my carpentry skills have mostly left me. Another design that I find attractive is Wittholz' 18 ft Downeaster. Downeaster is more conventionally constructed which means it's a bit more difficult to build. I'm also bothered by the fact that the keel line rises perceptively in the last few section in from to the transom. I don't mind the slight warpage in the last sections but fear that the boat would tend to porpoise.

My admiration for Ray Hunt goes back to boyhood days in the mid 50s. I had a Chicago Yacht Club Pup (which were the immediate precursors of the Dark Harbor 12.5s) and my friend Dick Heinrichs had a Hunt designed 110. When we raced, I would usually win in light weather and Dick would do the same when it blew.

Enough chattering for now.

Cheers, John

P.S.
    Thank you for the welcome to the forum, but I've been a member since 2012

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.