Interior coating

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by catsketcher, Dec 14, 2009.

1. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Gday all

I am painting the inside of my foam sandwich cabin top on the cat. I haven't faired it with a longboard and want a finish which will not show up my mistakes. I am thinking about rolling a flat polyurethane with a stippled roller to get a nice orange peel finish which will still clean well. I do not want a water based acrylic finish. The base coat is epoxy high build primer.

cheers

Phil

PS - I know I could fair it more but I won't. I have faired it already but want to stop at the point I am at now.

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

What you describe is exactly the way we did small dinghies on the inside, when I was running an apprenticeship at a local boat builder. Works pretty well.

Roll on the paint, waita minute, then roll with a coarse roller or stipled roller, and you will get a nice texture.

3. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Phil, ive used awlgrip with some cabosil mixed in and then rolled on with a texture roller with good success,the only problem is that i did the various parts before they went on the boat,ie,the ply/foam/glass deck panel were painted first and the cabin front at a later date and then installed,then the cabin top at a later date again and they didnt all come out the same texture,nice but not quite the same,mixing in the cabosil the same in each batch can be tricky,one trick ive learned is to run the cabosil thru a blender before mixing it in to the paint as it tends to be a little lumpy straigh from the bag.We often do the same thing for non skid except with a bit more cabosil so it will peak rather than slump.
    Steve.

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

For antiskid that way I use a product from Sicomin (now MAP yachting, at least for the paint division) which makes a rubbery coating which "peaks").

As for mixing in fumed silica (cabosil, aerosil, etc) best is to do this a day before using:

Mix in really well.
    Leave to rest for 24 hours
    Mix really well again
    Filter through a fine sieve

This is what we do when making our own gelcoats (there are more ingredients, do not worry...) and it works well.

And make sure your silica does not eat moisture. This will make it lumpy as well.

5. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys

With the rolled on paint did you flatten it or just stipple a gloss paint?

cheers

Phil

6. Herman

Herman Senior Member

We just took glossy paint. 2K PU will flatten a bit when torturing it like that when curing. Will give a nice, semi gloss, easy to clean surface.