Launch for coaching rowers (Crew)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Robin Walker, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Robin Walker

Robin Walker New Member

I am a rowing coaqch in the UK and am in search of the ultimate design for a coaching launch. The spec should fulfil the following criteria:
    • Minimal wake at speeds up to 10 knots – a racing eight travels at about 20 Km/hr, but most training boats travel at much less. Inflatables we have tried in the past push a lot of wake at low speeds, though this reduces on ‘the plane’.
    • Reliable
    • Economical
    • idiot proof – most rowing coaches have their minds on their crews, and only notice the launch if it goes wrong
    • Easy to get on and off the water from a landing stage (pontoon)
    • Steered by wheel, not tiller steered (had some scary moments with tiller steered launches on the Thames)
    • Capable of carrying up to 5 rescued rowers to safety.

Any suggestions?

2. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

why don't you make a catamaran out of 2 older training boats. joined by aluminum sections with a plywood platform on top?

3. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

catamaran out of 2 older training boats

Hm.. nice idea, have my questions about manoeuvrability of such a craft though. And even training boats are very light in construction.

Hm.. with a tiller you can move you rudder from port to starboard in a smaller instance then with a wheel. Suppose the wheel steered boats you are using steer an outboard engine instead of a rudder.

4. JPC

JPC Junior Member

As a former coach, I've wrestled with the same issues. There are catamaran launches made that are quite popolar. I think that Pocock makes one (Seattle) and that there's another model made by some of the fellows at the Sacramento State University Aquatic Center. (I've done a quick look for links for this, but haven't found the launch - if I do, I'll re post) -these have been advertised in the USRowing magazine, so if you've got access to any issues you might find it there.

The catamaran is very stable (rescue) and low wake. A drawback, however, is that they are quite wide and it can be more difficult to nuzzle up to a shell between two oars for swapping oarsmen or doing a fix.

I've seen some cathedral hull shapes used in coach launches that were a good compromise.

-JPC

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.