mold quistoin

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by trollme, Oct 14, 2006.

1. trollme

trollme New Member

First I did a seach before I posted this. Had most of my qusetions answerd. I have worked with fiberglass for apx 10 years. Everything from small jobs to complete rebuilds of thirty footers,buliding coolers and alittle auto fiberglass work. I have a full time job but do this for the enjoyment more than the money.
    My brother inlaw has a 1962 bertram thats in really bad shape. I have tried to get him to let me rework the boat many time's. But after seeing the Bertram I purchased last week he's fired up and ready to start.
    But here's the problem. He's wants me to make a mold and start with a new hull and maybe add two feet to it. flatten out the transom for a outboard bracket.
    I know to copy anyones work is illegal and wrong. But what about a boat thats this old and no longer produed and with these changes.
    He's willing to pay,Im willing to work!
    No need to come down on me hard like i've seen in someother post.LOL I don't want to anything illegal, thats why I'm here
    Just looking for info
    Thanks

2. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

You are getting in over your head. Changing the length of a hull will change several key handling/seaworthyness parameters in ways you probably do not understand. And there will be structural issues intertwined with this. If you are committed to doing this, you really must consult a naval architect so he can analyze the existing hull and evaluate the impact of the proposed changes. And in the end he may say "Don't do it!" This is not like making a limo out of a Lincoln Town Car.

Jimbo

3. trollme

trollme New Member

Thats what I thought. As soon as he said what he wanted a thousand questions started runnig through mind. Weight,center of gravity,ride ect. Rebuilding floors,stringers and trasoms are one thing but I knew this was over my head. Just got off the phone with him and told him to for get it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.