Bolger Skimmer mod

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jowfx, Mar 18, 2015.

1. jowfx

jowfx Junior Member

I was planning on building the Bolger Skimmer but would like to increase the length from 8 feet to 10 feet. No other modifications to beam. Just lengthening it straight back by adding 2 feet. I would like to add an extra bench as well. This boat would only be for lakes, powered by a 36lb thrust trolling motor. Does anybody see any problems I might encounter by doing this?

Thanks.

http://www.mcssl.com/content/assets/33/330110/Skimmer-2.jpg
    http://www.mcssl.com/content/assets/33/330110/Skimmer-1.jpg

2. HJS

HJS Member

I would just increase the distance between the stations. Not only prolong the stern.

Good luck

js

3. jowfx

jowfx Junior Member

Thanks, I will be adding another thwart. I was wondering if I should add some rocker to the aft end or leave it squared off. Again it's going to be powered by a trolling motor, but the design is for planing which this boat will never do.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Yes, do add some rocker in the aft part of the boat. Actually you would probably have a more serviceable boat by using something closer to Bolger's Brick or an equivalent boat deliberately designed as a displacement type.

If the boat will always use low power such as the small electric motor, or on the occasion when you might row, paddle, or scull, then the displacement design will be much more pleasing to operate.

Tell us more about the way that the boat will be used, how much will the occupants weigh, the kind of water where it will be used, the distance you'd normally expect to travel while on the water, how will you transport the boat.....truck bed, trailer, cartop, etc.. All this plays into selecting the most appropriate design of the boat that you would build.

The Skimmer is basically a Jon boat. That type is so common that one could easily be led to believe that they are highly appropriate. Maybe not, depending on the statement of requirements.

You can probably buy a used small Jon boat for less than it would cost to build one.

5. jowfx

jowfx Junior Member

Primarily the boat will be used for fishing the small lakes around here for a few hours. The lakes on Long Island are small and it's electric only, no gas. For occupants, probably 3 people, 400-450lbs. Then adding in the motor, battery and gear. I have a 4X8 utility trailer that I am using. The main lake I would use it on does have a boat ramp.

I like the Skimmer for it's simplicity and pretty much plumb lines. That's why I thought it might be feasible to lengthen it a couple of feet to gain some more capacity.

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The Skimmer will work for your application. It will not be an efficient hull but it will be sufficiently stable if sobriety is practiced. It is dead simple to build and it will do the job. You could add as much length to it as you like.

I would suggest that you extend the aft sections so that it is 12 feet long rather than 10 feet that you mentioned. even at 12 feet it will be a little crowded for three people. The occupants will need to pretty much stay in their positions even for a twelve footer. They can't be walking around much if they hook a fish. Far too confining if built as a ten footer.

The boat is basically a box in the after parts so a continuation of the box is easy enough. Matter of fact it will be a better boat on all counts. It will work better than the smaller one even with the electric motor. If built longer, it will be a more friendly boat and particularly so if you ever put an 8 or 10 horsepower motor on it.

In the long run you may opt for an outboard and if that is to be contemplated, then adding rocker to the aft end is not what you want to do. Leave it the way it is and add four feet or so. Continue the frame spacing at the intervals shown on the plans.

Go for it.

7. jowfx

jowfx Junior Member

Thanks for you help messabout. I just might extend it out to 12 feet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.