volvo penta 270 ratios

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by mbwrx, Sep 5, 2008.

1. mbwrx

mbwrx New Member

hello ,this is my first post,i had a search for this info but cant seem to find it ,please forgive me if its on here somewhere,i have a 19 ish foot sealine power boat.that i bought in bits.originaly fitted with volvo penta 5.7 v8 petrol,and 270 volvo penta stearn drive.i am fitting a 6.2 gmc diesel.i would imagine this has been done a few times before,anyway my question is will i have to change the gear ratio of the leg .to allow for the rpm difference.the gmc has 150hp @3600,i would guess the petrol engine would have revved a good bit higher,any input would be apprecated .cheers .martin

2. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

The gear ratio for that drive is 1.61:1. Not sure what the diesel gear ratios were; but I would guess a bit lower being that the v8 probably spun around 4400 rpms. Seems close enough that a propeller change could compensate though.

3. Çemberci

Çemberci Senior Member

Attached Files:

4. 2850 Bounty

2850 Bounty Junior Member

Martin, in this series drive, I believe that you are limited to the 1.61:1 over-all gear ratio.
    This is the tallest ratio in the SP drives of that vintage that I am aware of.
    The diesel needs the taller ratio.... not lower!

The OHC 4 cylinder is 2.15:1....
    The inline 6 is 1.89:1....
    The V-8's are 1.61:1

You may be able to make it work..... however, swapping props to compensate for an incorrect gear ratio NEVER actually works.

You'd have to go with a Duo Prop lower unit to get into the correct range for a lower RPM diesel engine.... the 1.78:1, for example. There is also a 2.30:1.

Rick E.
    2850 Bounty on the vBulletin BOC forum.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.