insulating deck cover

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Specmar.Aus, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Specmar.Aus

Specmar.Aus DREDGIE

Hi :)

We are searching for a durable insulating deck cover or paint based coating with good thermal properties.

Doesn’t need to go straight on to alloy we would be very happy to prime with an epoxy type primer or undercoat first.

The cover would need to be commercial grade non slip. The marine carpets we have used carry to much weed and mud.

To be considered beneficial.

Has any one used a ceramic additive in their deck paint?

Signed HOT FEET:eek:

Specmar.Aus
    We are searching for a durable insulating deck cover olr paint based coating

2. Allan Jennings

Allan Jennings Junior Member

I tried some paint with ceramic beads in which was stated to have incrediable U values. So I did a test with a copper tube painted on the outside filled with water and imersed in an ice bucket and measured the temperaure drop. I then did the same with a tube without the paint to see what the difference was. Certainly there was a difference but no where near what they were claiming. I then showed them the result and they based their R values on radiated heat not conductance!!. Now, your case that may be OK for deck paint to keep out the sun - but not for keeping the warmth inside the boat. I then threw away all the info as I wasn't interested anymore but there are alot of products on the web - and they certainly would stop you getting burnt feet.

3. Specmar.Aus

Specmar.Aus DREDGIE

4. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Have you considered corck?
    Vega is the best informed guy at the moment on the forum I guess.

5. Specmar.Aus

Specmar.Aus DREDGIE

Hi Sander Rae,

We have indeed used cork in the past and found it very good on yachts and some work boats.

I failed to mention we need the COOL DECK PAINT for a small Landing Craft 28’

The landing craft is a Mulity task vessel used as:

Tourist Passenger Ferry, Dive Boat and Cargo for a small Malaysian Island.

Hence the HOT BARE FEET and the need for a very durable product.

On a Personal note I have found the Cork better suited to timber vessels the small amount

of forgiveness in these decks gives the cork a longer working life.

Cheers Specmar.Aus

6. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Foregive me, as I see only ice when I look over my shoulder, outside over the canal ;-)
    I'm affraid I'm out of options, other than just an open wood flooring which I understand is not an option. Thanks for your reply.
    Regards

7. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

8. Vega

Vega Senior Member

What kind of cork are you talking about (I am interested in learning with your experience).

Do you have considered this combined material: AquaDeck - cork and rubber?

"AquaDeck - Antislip Wet Area Safety Flooring:

Aquadeck anti-slip floor or deck covering is produced from a unique combination of polymers, fine cork granules and rubber to form a stable, homogeneous and hard wearing, anti-slip floor or deck covering which is highly suited to wet or dry conditions. Available in six colours in round or diamond studded pattern.
    Applications: marine decking, pontoon decking, swimming pool surrounds, house boats, walkways, stairways, external ramps, selected areas for the disabled, excessive wet areas, bar serving areas, cool stores, etc."

http://www.spec-net.com.au/company/aclcork.htm

9. Specmar.Aus

Specmar.Aus DREDGIE

Aqua Deck

10. dincerd

dincerd Junior Member

Sorry, We Have Used " Floating Floor" In Our 60 Meter Mega-yacht For Thermal Insulation :!:

If Anyone Want To Get Information About This, I Can Help You :d

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.