mooring door help need

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pulsar, Oct 5, 2010.

1. pulsar

pulsar Mechanical engineer

Hi,

I have to design mooring door in bow part of hull.
    Mooring door has to section shape adjusted of course to hull shape.
    Axis of hinges need to be paraler to center line of ship. Unfortunatly it should have sealing around. Hinges should be inside for simple access to pin.
    Is there any one who can send any information or pictures how to solve that problem.

Best regards
    Pulsar

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The door does not need to be square , all you need is a straight edge for the hinges.

FF

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

You really don't even need that, what you need is an offset hinge axis and "C" arm hinges for a flush fitting shaped panel. Designs have been around for a couple of centuries, and I did a similar hinge for a faired panel when I first started engineering many years ago; just get one of the many idea books of old patent mechanisms for lots of examples. Drawback is the relatively large amount of arm swing volume needed inboard.

Edit to add:... Go look at a lot of automobile doors, they have offset axis hinges to swing free of faired body panels. Here is a random website I looked up to show the type of hinge I mean...http://www.customautotrim.com/bodykits/lambo-doors/lambo_door_kits.htm

If you really need a drawing, I'll see if I can find one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.