installing staples on a swim grid

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Barry, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member

I am considering installed a set of staples on our swim grid. They removable type that has a pocket that is bolted through the grid.
    The grid appears to have a core, as it is about 2 inches thick.

Assuming that it is a core and I have to hole saw a 2 1/2 inch hole to install the pockets, can someone tell me how I could isolate the water from the core

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Picture please.
    I really don't understand "swim grid" and why do you need staples?

What are you actually trying to do?

Typically if you have a core you are going to cut into, it needs to be protected by epoxy or possibly epoxy / fiberglass.
    I'm assuming the core is wood or something degradeable?

Pockets????

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member

The pockets allow the staples to be removed when you want better access to the grid and provide better support.

This particular picture has them just bolted down to the swim grid

Attached Files:

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is a swim platform in the photo, however, I don't really understand what you call a "grid". Is that the non-skid pattern? A staple is a fastener. Are those railings what you call a "staple". As far as a "pocket", I am at a total loss.

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Hi
    One larger boats they often call them a swim grid or swim platform.
    As the shape of the round rails looks like staple, they are called just that
    The pockets are a flange with a pocket that the ID is a little larger than the OD of the staple tubing, and the upper staple slides into the lower pocket.

The main problem as I see it is when I perforate the upper and lower fibreglass layer over the core, exposing it to some water to the core, it could lead to delamination.

So I need some method to cut the holes and then make the upper fibreglass layer, the core and the bottom fibreglass core interfaces impervious to water.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You might need to also reinforce the core so the pocket bolts don't crush the core or pull out.

7. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

I'd use a hole saw to drill the large hole. Then use a dremel to grind 3/4" of the soft core back (enough for any screws to be in this area). Then fill with an epoxy filler mix connecting the skins. Then redrill the hole with the hole saw.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.