installing aluminum gunwale

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by lumie, Aug 20, 2005.

1. lumie

lumie New Member

I have a problem. My aluminum boat has a wood deck and wood sheer (gunwale). I am currently restoring the flooring on the boat so I can install better seating. I'd like to replace the wood sheer with aluminum then re-install the wood decking. The boat is a 1960 Smith Craft deep V modified with some of the boat welded and some rivets for internal support rails for the floor. Could anyone help me figure out what I should use for the sheer and how it should be attached. I have a welder living next to me that can weld aluminum but the biggest problem is the curve of the boat. How the heck do you shape the sheer to fit. On wood boats they just sand off what is not needed. Easy for wood but for aluminum????? You can view the boat at http://www.merc850.homeip.net:8888/Webalbum/

Hope that helps
    Pete

2. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Aluminium & Stainless INC. A subsidiary of of Reliance Steel & Aluminium CO.
    No website I know of. Here is a number, 337-837-4381. 1-800-252-9074
    They have a varity of aluminium boat extrusioms, includeing a gunwale.
    Sounds like a wood shear adds beuty & balance to the looks. Sure you want to change? Good luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.