How Rare Is This Setup ?

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by wooky, Dec 23, 2007.

1. wooky

wooky Junior Member

I have an unusual (I think) engine/drive combo. It is a early to mid '70's Chrysler Super Slant Six mated to 270 Volvo drive. It originally came out of a Chrysler "Commando" (if memory serves me correctly). I have searched many, many sites and can't find anyone else who has one (the Six). Nobody lists marine parts, specifically the 2bbl carb and fuel pump, for this engine (the drive, yes I have obtained numbers for some critical parts).

At present time the engine and drive are out of the boat, a 19 foot '72 SeaBird Runabout, while replacing the transom wood and stringers. I plan to outfit a closed cooling setup so that the engine will not have to endure the fresh water corrosion problems, the marine block and head were toasted by a dropped valve from a bad rebuild (done before I obtained the engine/drive) and a known good engine from a car is ready to be installed. I've been told that I can shave the head and block to make it think it's a V-8 and give economy of a six due to a "wild cam", but I don't plan on doing that as I have run it stock and am satisfied that it will do what I need.

How many of these engines are out there and if possible what is the carb number (marine, of course) for this engine. Perhaps even a carb other than a Carter as long as it would work on this engine.

So much I have learned, but still so much to learn as well, THANKS to any replies in advance

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  2. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

That might make a mighty fine set up. The table below comes from this website http://www.donsautopages.co.nz/enginespecs.htm

model Bore Stroke Cu. in. HP
    225 3.400 4.125 225 105-145
    230 3.250 4.630 231 -

Both of these slant six motors are very undersquare (smaller bore longer stroke). More torque at lower rpms and cooler running which is helpful for boatmotors if you're interested in a long running reliable motor. Of course if your tastes run more towards drag boats it won't work out so well. Good luck with your project.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The engines sure must exist out there, since they were made at least through the seventies. Best engine Chrysler ever made, in my opinion.
    The 225 cu in was the most popular. Found in virtually every mid size budget car made by Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth for many years. You could also probably fit a Chrysler 318 V8 in the same boat, as it was made, I believe, to fit the same tranny. Also a good engine.

Alan

4. wooky

wooky Junior Member

Thanks for the reply TW, I have the basic info on the engine, probably a million or more in Chrysler cars over the years and yes known to be a very strong engine, reliable, and virtually indestructible. My purpose for the boat is for hitting the lakes around here, one just down the street and several more within a hundred miles or so for fishing and cruising, or tied up under a bridge in the heat of the day. Doubtful, but always possible for me to take it to the Gulf of Mexico (the "Bird" was made for the ocean).

As I put in the original post my main concern is the carb, not even sure if the one I have is a marine unit. I've got some time to find the correct one (even if it is other than a Carter), as long as it's a 2bbl marine unit that will work on this engine.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

With rejecting and an adapter, you could make any reasonably similar CFM, marine carb work. A quick look at the bowl vents or throttle shafts will usually disclose if it's a marine unit. Automotive units will vent the bowl to the atmosphere, while marine have a return to the venturi and the shafts will probably have seals outside of the bushings.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

In the simple days of carburatted cars, there was a lot of inyerchangability from one carb to another---- all that matters is CFM, really, beyond the hole configuration in the manifold and the bolt pattern. A CFM capacity is directly related to venturi size, and so engines with single bbl carbs would be easiest to adapt, as the bolt pattern is very simple to change------ only the venturi diameter needs to be matched. Any marine carburator (as described by PAR) should work as long as it matches the throat capacity of the original (and there's even more leeway than that, though other sizes will require intake manifold modifications, if enlarging, and the engine will consequently be higher powered, and also shorter-lived.

Alan

7. wooky

wooky Junior Member

Thanks PAR and Alan for the replies, I know that these engines are fairly plentiful but my question was how many in a marine setup. On the 318, yes another reliable engine, many cruisers have single and twins. I am on a budget here and have everything needed, engine mounts, wet exhaust, etc. (exhaust is a well made custom stainless job). With the 2bbl carb, I haven't been able to find anyone who carries them anymore, only 4bbl's (I'm guessing for those V-8's and drag boats). The one boat shop up in town won't even talk to me because I don't have a Mercruiser, "..Volvo, we don't have it..". What other engines used a 2bbl (Mercruiser perhaps ?). So as long as the mounting holes and throats line up and are the same size it should be interchangeable. OH, BTW, at rest in the water the engine sits level so a wedge plate shouldn't be needed (none was on it before).

While many who buy boats want the fastest thing on the water, I prefer to just get up on plane and cruise around enjoying the ride and seeing the sights. When fishing, enough room to be comfortable and be able to move around a bit without bumping elbows with everyone aboard works for me. When I bought the "Bird", it was already a project boat (no motor, seats, etc.) but I saw the potential in it. After fitting the Chrysler/Volvo in it I had it on the water just 3 times before the aforementioned valve dropped and ruined the motor. But those 3 times out proved that this is the perfect boat for me and my tastes. THANKS again for the replies.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      83.8 KB
      Views:
  8. PAR

On the body of the carb, there will be a manufacture (Rochester, Carter, etc.) and assuming some bonehead hasn't removed it, a metal tag, usually attached under one of the carb top hold down screws. The metal tag will ID the specific carb.

How many were produced? Who knows and frankly does it matter? Most 1 and 2 barrel carbs have a very similar base. There are plenty of manufactures out there that still build these smaller carbs. For what it's worth a 225 slant 6 runs great on a 390 Holley 4 barrel, which will probably require a new intake or an adaptor at least. You'll be playing with jets for a while until you get it dialed in, but it's a reasonable upgrade.

My guess is that you have a Ball & Ball (BBD) carb. It can be identified by looking at the front (the bowl side). The accelerator pump is on top of the bowl and the pump rocker arm is straight, with an upsweep (unlike the Stromberg which is bent) and the push rod goes to the right side, where the throttle linkage is. The vacuum choke is on the left side and the hose for it comes off the back of the "barrel".

9. wooky

wooky Junior Member

PAR, you are correct on all points, a Carter Ball and Ball, tag is missing but cast into the outer bowl on the choke side is the number "0-1612", I know the tag would be a better reference but....

As far as how many of these engines were put to marine use, no, doesn't really matter but I was curious because I've never seen another, usually Ford inline sixes and V-8's, Chevy V-8's, and some V-6 Buick engines

10. PAR

In line six's are a logical choice for many small runabouts. They develop lots of torque and have a narrow footprint, low weight, plus are usually slower turning and more economical to operate.

The number you've found on the side is the casting number and not of much use, except to the manufacture, who may be able to tell you which "batch" it came from during its production run.

11. PAR

Sierra remanufactures carbs and have 4 two barrels, on the Rochester base. They're intended as replacements for some of the smaller MerCrusier and OMC setups, but will likely work for your application. Available in 4 different CFM.

12. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Good Going, PAR. You appear to have organized a huge database that is invaluable to answering questions about just about anything nautical. Either that or you spend hours Googling every day. I can't imagine you keep it in your head!
    Anyway, I chuckle every time you come back with such detailed information. Too bad there's no Jeopardy game show about boats, huh? But no. Just opera and Shakespere---- and other useless topics.

Alan

13. wooky

wooky Junior Member

Thanks again PAR, I'll look up Sierra tonight and see what I find.

14. martinf

martinf Junior Member

At risk of a stupid question, was the concern raw gas fumes in the engine compartment?
    ~martin

15. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Yes, not only fumes, but gas itself is posible with an Auto carb.Can be very dangerous in a closed (semi) environment. Even a Tiny Spark and you go BOOM.

Jango

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.