Inspired by Boston ....

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by myk, Sep 17, 2010.

1. myk

myk Junior Member

Hi all. I've popped in to the forum off and on for a while and followed Boston a bit in his quest. Inspired by his purchase, I'm getting more serious about mine.

I like the look of the Elco cruisers. I hope for something like one to cruise the Great Lakes, inland waterways, and Caribbean (too ambitious?).

Anyways, I came across this listing. (She looks like one I saw called 'Hippo' in Kingston, Canada.) But she seems to fall in the category of 'too good to be true'. Here's the listing:

Photos

Write-up

Thoughts? Threads I should read that have covered the topic of Elco's and offshore cruising? Any guidance is appreciated. Cheers.

2. John Riddle

John Riddle Junior Member

MYK:

I saw that boat in Charleston when I was there in July. My impression is that it didn't look as "fresh" then as it does in the pictures but fresh paint and varnish may be enough to fix that. I didn't go aboard, or even have time to look very carefully, so I can't tell you anything useful about the structure. I just had time to take the broker's number down so when I got home, I called him (on behalf of someone else keeping an eye out for a good Elco). He recited pretty much what the ad says and told me the asking price was $90,000 (down from $140,000) so I guess they've lowered it again.

It seems like a worthwhile boat to take a good look at if it's the right one for you.

As far as cruising with it goes, I would think it would make a pretty nice boat. Not fast but economical to run. She'll roll but I would expect it to be an easy motion. And at 44' is big enough to handle some weather.

I've never found much talk about Elcos on the internet. If I were looking for info, I'd try to get in touch with her most recent captain. I was told she was owned by the Carolina Maritime Association who recently replaced her in their fleet with a sailing schooner. They can probably put you in touch with the captain if you ask the right person in the right way.

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Her name is Frolic. Like the Chrysler motor-yacht's name beside the Delphine.
    The folding sink is to die for :)
    She looks fine, but a little to much large area of glass to make serious passage.
    It is sad they "modernize" the interior like that. Lack of taste. They should have left the original interior.
    They kept the typical wheel system. It is very helpful to change the angle of the wheel.
    As a coastal family cruiser she can be a pretty good boat. And certainly an head turner in marina.
    Go to see her by yourself with a good surveyor.
    Also continue your search, for that price range you have some good opportunity, and this one will have a lower price in six month.
    Daniel

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.