NeverWet

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SaltOntheBrain, Dec 29, 2013.

1. SaltOntheBrain

SaltOntheBrain Senior Member

Anybody get the bright idea to try Rustoleum's NeverWet on a boat hull? Does it make a difference in performance at planning or displacement speeds?

LF

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

As far as I know, it is about the same as Thompson Water Seal. I tried it and it made me lose speed. It ended up with a layer of goop after a day in salt water.

3. jonr

jonr Senior Member

It has a slightly rough and not too durable surface - I have to say that I haven't really found a good use for it.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Thompsons and NeverWet aren't the same chemically. NeverWet will wear off quickly, while Thompsoms will last a wee bit longer. Thompsons will contaminate the surface with wax that is difficult to remove if you plan on painting the surface at some point.

5. SaltOntheBrain

SaltOntheBrain Senior Member

Thanks for saving me the trouble, gonzo. It looked pretty interesting in their videos.

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Neverwet says it needs to be constantly exposed to air to work. So it may be worth the experiment on a planning hull, but on a sailboat it would fail quickly.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.