Inside Out

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Doug Lord, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I'm considering building an experimental 15' sailboat of my own design in a way that is unique to me. I've built over twenty boats -most by building a plug then a mold. This would be one of only three one offs I've built using plywood.
    Whats different about this is that I'll build a strong back and set up frames that will touch the outside of the skin. The boat uses tumblehome from the bow to stern so the frames outline the shape of the deck, cockpit and sides.
    In order to be able to glass the inside of the 1/8" ply skin I need to be able to hold the skin to the frames so that nothing intrudes on the inside. I've considered "tacking" the skin to the frame with glass but that will leave numerous areas on the outside to fix when the boat is pulled off the frame/strongback. The ply will be glassed(carboned) and reinforced and the bottom installed before removing the boat from the frame.
    --
    Any suggestions as to how to hold the skin to the strongback/frame while the inside of the boat is completed without creating a nightmare of finish work on the outside of the skin-or interfering with the inside glassing?

2. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

A decent industrial glue gun??
    J

3. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

If you use long panelpins ie: Nails with very small heads, you could pin the ply to the frames and afterwoods you should be able to pull the frames off and then use nail pliers to pull the pins out/through the ply, if you know what I mean.

Or use brass pins and then just snip them off and leave the remainder in the ply.
    J

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Try hot melt glue. Scrape it off after glassing the inside. It won't hold very well but should hold well enough. Test it first, though, before trying it on the real thing.

5. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Difficult to do without leaving at least some small holes in the skin.

One possibility would be to use heavy fishing line.

1 . Dill the smallest holes possible to allow the fishing line to go through the panel.

2 . Push panel to contact frame and tie off at the external frames , glass the interior and snip off the line when done.

3 . Fill the holes.

The trick would be to minimize the number of fixings or holes.If you use single line with a simple knot on the inside you may not need to repair too much.

6. hoytedow

Epoxy glue wood cleats to outside of skin which you can fasten to to pull skin to basket. After inside has been glassed, sand off cleats.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks for the ideas, guys! I had considered gluing wood blocks to the skin then screwing the block to the frame. My first thought was to cut something like 1X2 blocks but grinding a bunch of those off the outside skin would be tough without damaging the skin. Just now I thought of using balsa blocks that would grind off a lot easier.
    But there must be a better way. I haven't ruled anything out or in and your continued help is most appreciated!

8. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

How thick are the ply panels , doug ?

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

.125"(1/8th) Okoume (from Boulter) to be carboned inside and out.....

10. wardd

wardd Senior Member

how about fiberglass tabs epoxied on the hull to frame

1"x1"x1" should do

cut the tabs off sand a bit and glass over

11. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Sounds feasible actually.....

12. hoytedow

Yes, wardd has the best idea.

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

--------------------------
    Thanks! It's sure worth a test. My experience(limited) grinding anything epoxied to thin plywood is not good-but I'll give it a shot.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

You guys have been great and I appreciate it a lot. I've got this kind of wild idea-see what you think:
    1) use plastic staples to staple skin to the frame.
    2) grind small recesses in the frames at the locations where the staple will be put in, the idea is that when the skin is up against the frame a portion of the
    staple will be visible,and more importantly, accessible.
    3) when ready to pull boat off frame a small chisel would be used to cut the plastic staple.
    ---
    What do you think?

15. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.