Inserting Boat serial Numbers in mold

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Reis, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Reis

Reis New Member

I am building a small sabot mold :).
    I want to have different serial numbers for each part (hull) I make.
    I would like to learn a few different methods of doing so :cool:
    Does anyone have any experience inserting serial numbers for boat production?:idea:

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

The small boatguilders I know have what looks like Dynamo Label makers that print mirror image labels that get put on the mold. Sorry, I don't have a source.

Steve

3. Reis

Reis New Member

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

My boat has a simple printed read out on a piece of paper glassed over,trying to remove it would destroy it as would an inverted stamp. I have 2 marks, one is painted over and only I know where it is.

You can make things easy or hard.

5. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Could you describe better how this works Frosty? Do you leave the gel coat off where this paper goes? What exactly covers this paper or is it against the release agent?

Sorry, I don't understand how what you briefly describe works

Steve

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

This is a piece of paper with numbers on it . When the boat is finished it is glassed onto the inside of the boat somewhere. I don't know if that passes USA regs but this is on a popular Australian boat that makes 1 every 2 weeks and exports most to USA.

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Write with permanent marker on the hull laminate before the last laminate somewhere in a locker or similar place where it's not needed any paint or gelcoat.

8. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Reis,

If you are going to be selling your sabots, first a few considerations:

1. Sabot is the name of an actual boat design, available from a few different sources. If yours is from one of these, you will have to obtain the rights to the design in order to make a mold and build boats for sale.

2. If you are using the term "sabot" as a generic term, you could be infringing on the rights of the official Sabot classes. You should probably use a different name.

3. If you are going to be selling the boats to the general public, then you have to conform to Federal boat building guidelines in Title 33 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Subchapter S, Boating Safety, parts 173 to 183. These cover builders' legal responsibilities, including assigning hull serial numbers. You have to apply to the US Coast Guard for a manufacturers ID number to include in your hull serial numbers. The requisit documents are downloadable for free on the internet through the USCG website.

4. As for the Dymo type machine for hull numbers, that is the most common form in which to make a molded-in hull number. It is insufficient to merely write the number onto the hull. For a fiberglass boat, it must be permanently molded into the hull. Alternatively, it make be etched or engraved onto a plaque that is permanently affixed to the boat and that cannot be easily removed. In addition, a duplicate number must be molded or attached into the boat in a secret place that an ordinary person would not look, at least easily. This can be printed on a piece of paper and molded into the laminate, so long as the laminate is clear and won't get painted over, and the number is easily seen when found.

5. Finally, it is worthwhile to check out the boat building standards of the American Boat and Yacht Council to see if any of them would apply. They are voluntary standards, but practically all boat builders in the US comply with them, and they form the necessary threshold of standards that are used in the marine industry.

6. To build boats and sell them to the public brings on many responsibilities for the builder. A review of the above will get you started in what you have to do.

Good luck,

Eric

9. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

I used to built GRP canoes, dinghies bass boats etc before retiring and what I did was very similar to Frosties. I had the serial numbers printed on paper, the laminated in clear plastic and fitted between laminates.
    When applying the inside flowcoat, I just masked off the number and remove the masking after flow coating. Impossible to tamper with number short of detroying the laminate and clearly visible.

[​IMG]

10. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...yep, Wynand and Frosty have it right, simple, cheap and efficient, we have done it like that for decades.

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Google Dymo reverse printing labelers