Insane Catamaran

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Aug 20, 2010.

1. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

I'd say it is a demonstration of excellent seamanship and judgement. He and his crew believed they could do it and they did.

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Oh well strokes for folks they say :D

have to say this pearl of wisdom made my day :D

a 50 ft cat upside down in the harbour mouth "and they end up wet and embarrassed" all three of them ;)

loooove it
    just imagine

:cool:

VERY SIMPLE CHALLENGE

If this is a "do-able" feat of seamanship PLEASE DO IT AGAIN
    but come on, have a heart and please let us know so that we can also come and watch. My idea is if you can pull it off 4 out of 5 times its "do-able" and we will forgive you for the ONE time that you missed and ended up "wet and embarrassed"

btw catamarans do float upside down:D

Attached Files:

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

and as an after thought

if it is soooo much fun coming in
    imagine how much fun it will be going out

lets do it :D

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

To put a little perspective on that statement: 'a bit longer' would have been two days to Brisbane in high seas, and two days back in sheltered waters.

My take on it is, 'no harm, no foul.' Why sit around second-guessing the skipper's decision and carrying on about might-have-been's, when the boat came through in one piece?

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

It is very interesting to learn how other folks from all over the world see this "problem"

My point of view is the product of my training. (Offshore Sailing Academy Durban = Chris Bonnet)=(Excellent)
    South Africa has an inhospitable coastline with a 3rd world infrastructure that is crumbling fast, with no laws anyway.
    Nothing must go wrong in the harbour entrance because of the impact that it would have on other sailors and shipping.
    Worst of all a 50 ft cat upside down.

It gets drummed into our heads that you NEVER take a chance in the harbour entrance. That is why we get trained to always be well prepared and to stay out and learn how to handle the 4 knot current that will sweep you off past Cape Town to Antartica.
    Maybe our training is strict, maybe I am a person to abide by safety rules and regulations, BUT we get taught that when you go over the horizon a mere 3 miles out, you are already own your own - handle it!

Maybe these guys are just toooo relaxed that they can phone mommy to come and kiss it better when "they end up wet and embarrassed" :D

1 person likes this.
  6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello Manie and all you ugly buggers :D

Personally I don't think that cat would be capsized so easily even if it broaches. You can calculate what you would need to capsize that cat.

What that guy did was a lot less risky compared to the surf launches guys do here in SA every single day - and that with cats ~5m500 and less than 2m500 wide. Imo that is even more luni.

Nice find there Manie. I saw a similar stunt by a SA guy on his cat in PE ? if I wasn't mistaken.

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Ummm...now we're questioning the skipper's manhood, on top of his seamanship and judgment?:p

Relax, Manie. Somehow, I doubt he did that because he's been babied all his life. I also doubt he routinely pulls stunts like that.

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Now where's that video of the mono getting hit by a big wave :D

I think en light of this here new found media we can safely assume that mono's get capsized by waves, cats surf on the waves :p

9. Autodafe

Autodafe Senior Member

Sorry Manie, I can't have been very clear.
    A part of my post was supposed to be the exact opposite of what you got out of it. To clarify:
    In my opinion, the more regulators tell people what they can and can't do, the less self-reliant they become.

Anyway, getting off my libertarian hobbyhorse and back on topic, I'm not sure how many people have read Capt. Voss' account of his circumnavigation in a small yacht early last century, but it's a good read. He discusses bar crossings in large seas at some length, considering this skill to be vital for competent sailors. He reportedly gave a number of demonstrations, using a drogue to prevent broaching.

George

1 person likes this.
  10. Petros

Petros Senior Member

let him take all the risk he wants, it is his yacht and his to wreck. As long as no one else was put in danger, they, the skipper and crew, made the choice to go for it.

Fart on nanny state regulations. Liberty means you are free to make your own decisions and free to take your own risks, and suffer the consequences.

11. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I'm all for the skipper being *free* to do as he wishes as well. No government in my life!:!:

However, part of the code of reduced government is a level head and respect for making mistakes that could kill yourself and/or those around you.

Where I'm from originally, we were fiercely independent of government (both state and local) and had/have many freedoms those in other parts of the USA have long lost. One of those freedoms is the choice to drive a car without insurance. You do a lot less dumb things and pay more attention when you have no insurance. Why? People have drilled into you the importance of using good judgement and you are simply more careful and respect the car more. This is taught at an early age.

So, what I'm saying is this skipper is an absolute ***** for rising his life and the lives of his passengers and/or possible rescue crews. It's guys like him that cause governments to pass stupid laws to "protect us." However, I support his right to do as he chooses, but he should never have exercised that right... it was foolish and irresponsible.

2 people like this.
  12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Interesting debate, it is a matter of knowing right from wrong. As I have not had your training, I saw no wrong.

http://www.sandownlifeboat.com/old_news_2009.htm
    [​IMG]

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I gave rep points to Autodafe and CatBuilder for statements they made that is so true.

This is so so so true. See it on a daily basis. The more laws and rules and regulations the more irrresponsible and idiotic actions you see. 'The law says' seems to remove the last single brain cell.

How do you let the ****** making the laws understand it. Since they seem to make more money from it, why would they stop screwing. You won't save every single idiot out there in any case, now they just multiply them.

The skipper is in charge of his rig and it is his responsibility. I'd trust his judgement on the grounds that he made skipper in the first place. That or I want my money back.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-------------------------
    Well said, Catbuilder! Reckless behaviour like this is a bureaucrats dream-"don't we just need a law to stop this". I grew up on the water-at the age of 9 I was racing sailboats AND handling the family home-a 47' twin diesel stinkpot-the Ungava. At any point in my life since then I would have recognized that stunt as reckless UNLESS the guy was running from an imminent storm or somebody on board was in very serious condition.
    And ,Troy, the reason to make a big deal about it is so that maybe some poor slob that reads all this will think a bit more before committing to such a course of action.

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Was it really wreckless ? What size wave would capsize a cat like that ?

You also have to remember that not every one can jump the same hight as the next guy. We all have different abilities, and we act and live on them on a daily basis.

If you think you can't jump the fence then don't try it. But why cut someone off below the knees that can ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.