Innovative supersport

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by High Life, Dec 14, 2012.

1. High Life

High Life Junior Member

Innovative superyacht:::
    [​IMG]
    http://www.palmerjohnson.com/ more living space and stability with a fine entry bow and small sponsons at the stern, all lightweight construction and 30 knot top speed. Innovative!
    bow on photo
    more photos
    First has been sold and is under construction to be delivered in 2013.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Looks over stylized, unusable and energy intensive.

But, as they say, the customer is always right.

3. High Life

High Life Junior Member

To each their own. The stated goal was 30% more efficient than a comparable superyacht.
    Show me a more exciting new design yacht.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Seen one of these already --came into the marina I was in last year.

Micheal how can it be unusable and energy intensive when the OP had explained it had more room and stability with fine entry with 30 knots.

5. High Life

High Life Junior Member

Please upload pictures. I don't think you saw this. The PJ 48 is "currently in build for delivery in the autumn of 2013."

"Palmer Johnson is having the moulds, hull and superstructure made at a Norwegian builder that has been working in the material for 15 years. The yacht will then be shipped to the US yard for outfitting and finishing."

6. High Life

High Life Junior Member

Here's the sailworld article on it

"The vessels have a wavepiercer displacement hull making them more stable than a monohull. The slender main hull increases efficiency with sponsons that have a positive effect on stability, roll dampening, speed and power. The wave piercing bow reduces pitching and will be more comfortable as yacht goes through waves and not over them. The yachts will be able to cruise at 30+ Knots with less fuel and will have a Transatlantic range."

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

House services...aircon...uses more energy over a year than propulsion. Big motoryachts never travel far from the marinia. The motoryacht on my starboard side has 1300 engine hours and it was launched in 1994. Something like the boat pictured is designed to anchor off St Tropez or Porto Cervo , nose to stern like dogs sniffing butts, for the summer.

The design has acres of surface area exposed to the sun and no natural ventalation. I can show you big motoryacts from the 1980s who rarely use HVAC. I suppose all those opening doors in the hull and transome are eco friendy, hand wheel operated. ?

I suppose the anchor drops out of the bottom of that design ?

Expect to be in the shipyard hauled out fixing the anchor bombay doors often .

8. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

9. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

10. High Life

High Life Junior Member

Good!

Adastra is innovative all right.

It's different, more of a true trimaran than the PJ 48.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.