MS-Polymer vs Methacrylates

Discussion in 'Materials' started by gary1, Oct 4, 2007.

1. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Afternoon Everyone,
    I originally posted this on the composite and fibre glass forum I think it should have been posted here sorry if this apeapers to be a double post. I'm just after some opinions on what is considered the stronger of the two adhesive types, the first one is called an MS-polymer as opposed to a Methacrylate type of adhesive. They are both supposed to be water proof, I have never heard of a MS-Polymer before. I will be bonding Alluminium to an epoxy base just wondering which would be the better of the two as both make claims to being a permanent type of adhesive and claim to have structual strength properties. The MS- polymer type just sounds as though it may be a bit easier to work with. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank's
    Gary

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

An MS Polymer is a flexible adhesive, often used in flooring substrate. It sticks like s**t to the proverbial blanket, so yes it is a very good adhesive, IF you require some allowable movement.
    Methacrylates are very good adhesives where substrate preparation is not perfect (don't tell the manufacturers), they are cheaper than the polymer adhesives, and possible better when tested to the extreme, so in answer to your question, yes the Methacrylates are probably the better glue for your circumstance. Don't expect to remove the parts again after setting though, it is a tough job, worse than Sika!

3. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

G/Day Landlubber,
    Mate thank's for the information that's what I'm after if I have to take a grinder to it at some stage to get the Alluminium of the epoxy then so be it I can live with that come the time. Just trying to get the strongest bond I can get without having to worry about the parts seperating.
    Many Thank's
    Gary

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.