Where to buy Imron or Nason 2k Polyurethanes

Discussion in 'Materials' started by fpjeepy05, May 13, 2022.

1. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

I'm looking to buy some 2-part polyurethane. I can tint it myself. Not looking for a lot, maybe a quart of white and a quart of tintable clear.
    Price is the biggest driving factor. Where do you guys buy your paint?

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

For that quantity try your local antibody paint shop.

3. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

That is a standard response I get and I find it kind of frustrating. Not your suggestion, but because of the way the auto paint industry is.
    I can get a quart of Interlux perfection, Epifanes Poly-urethane, or EZ Poxy 2 Two-Part Polyurethane for $50-$80 at West Marine. I know the price and what I'm getting.
    To buy Imron or Nason I need to call or visit local auto body shops. I have no idea if they will have what I'm looking for, what quantities I'll have to buy, and what it will cost.
    The internet allows a Brita filter to order itself a new filter element on Amazon when it needs replacing. But nowhere on the internet am I able to find out if a 1 quart kit of white Imron is $10, $100, or $1000. Nor where I can buy it. The only explanation I can think of is the lack of transparency is intentional and allows sellers to overchange customers.

4. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Both Imron and Nason are declared as for "Professional use only. Not to be sold to the general public. "
    So, yes, the lack of transparency is intended.... To keep it between professionals.
    Auto body shops know the local price.

When you consistently buy hundreds of gallons a month. The discount brokers will find you.

fpjeepy05 likes this.
  5. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

You right.

I'll stick with the unprofessional products I guess.

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The reason these products are not sold to the public is because they can kill you as can 2 part roll on polyurethanes. Only sprays kill faster.

7. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

You can spay roll on poly if you thin it.

Water can kill you and your paint job.

8. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

The two part polyesters out gas cyanide. They can kill you right quick. The first sign of overexposure is loss of consciousness with death a few minutes later.

9. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

*Polyurethane contains isocyanate

Although the two chemical names are similar, NO cyanide is used to make or is present in isocyanate products. In addition, no cyanide will be released during the normal use of isocyanate products. However, cyanide can be produced from isocyanates by heating to decomposition and/or burning. In fact, burning ANY nitrogen-containing material, even those that were not made from isocyanates, can produce some hydrogen cyanide. This includes chemical like ammonium fertilizers, some household cleaners and aerosols. Some examples of these nitrogen-rich materials not made from isocyanates are: epoxy/polyamide coatings, melamine coatings, alkyd urea coatings, and even some natural materials such as wool! All of these will generate some measurable amount of hydrogen cyanide upon combustion or when burned.

10. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Here is a fairer answer. Painting two part paints with sprays ought to be done woth a booth or fresh air respirator. Most at home folks won't take these steps.

Add that to distribution networks protecting margins by no retail sales and you ought to realize why getting some paints is impossible.

I tried to use Awlgrip 545 with a roller and it dries so fast; I can't get it to look good on a 2' wet edge even. Some paints are meant only for spray.

Isocyanates from 2-pack paints and use of polyurethane resins in mining https://www.rshq.qld.gov.au/safety-notices/mines/isocyanates-from-2-pack-paints-and-use-of-polyurethane-resins-in-mining

11. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

Your local NAPA should carry the paint you're looking for.
    Fresh air supply and complete coverage of your body should be mandatory .. along with a filtration system to catch the overspray. You can absorb isocyanates through your skin and eyes not just the lungs.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.