Infusion Q&A

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jim lee, Dec 17, 2009.

1. wadeed

wadeed Junior Member

what about using carbon on wood for stringers

2. wadeed

wadeed Junior Member

several layers of tweel k12 carbon with VE

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Boats can stand more that people can so build to last !!!
    Like i have drawn the details are really importnant . the coved corner wil flex and if the corner is to sharp the layers of glass delaminate , the gelcoat will need to be gound off where the glueing takes place because the glue is strong enough to tear the gelcoat off the glass . the cover strip out side and the hinge strip inside are vital !!!. have seen tubes completely come loose off the hull because of no hinge strip inside and the tube peeled off from end to end !! very scary when you a few miles off shore in mountainous seas . The lay up of triaxle glass looks like over kill but believe me in the face of an rib hitting a big wave at hi speed the tubes have unimagionable lifting force . enough to compress you spine and break legs if you are not standing ready or sitting properly . the triaxle is worked in amongst your standard layup of the hull that should be feathered out as it goes up from the chine so just the triaxle glass goes to the top and round the corner . the chine i where you floor inside needs to sit and be attached not only bonded but glassed over as well ! Ribs are something else !!! monos done have a patch on what a rib hull will have to with stand . be carefull injecting foam its better for a hull to be a little flexable the withstand the enormous pounding that it will endure than to fill with foam and have it come lose later and have to cut the floor open to dig it out !! foam under floor in my book is a no no !!.

AS well as the picture with information for you to study theres a copy of my work referance when i left the company just to confirm my work esperiance at the inflatable company .
    To this day Dudly is a personal friend and have know each other for long time . if you want any info about building tubes theres a phone number there just add 0064 in front and phone him !,he is retired as i should be !!
    A:p:D:plways here to help !!

Attached Files:

4. wadeed

wadeed Junior Member

i was thinking of D ring tubes foam filled in this way i will raise sides and build sides for floor as well so as to bond both hull side wall and floor side wall and use both as backing wall fr D:D:p ring

5. wadeed

wadeed Junior Member

i am using a 33zf donzi hull from the 80s as my plug

6. wadeed

wadeed Junior Member

i am thinking of using old bertram hulls for plugs fr ribs 25-31-38-44 ft

7. wadeed

wadeed Junior Member

or maybe old magnums !!!!!!!!!!!

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

In these types of boats carbon and kevlar have no place they are exstreme products and for durability mixed with glasses wont last .
    Its time you got familiar with the properties and the use of Unidirectionall glass combined with vinylester resins !! no need for epoxies !!:D

9. wadeed

wadeed Junior Member

thanks for your advise and help and your keen assistance highly appreciated

10. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Be careful. Here splashing, stealing someone else's hull design, is heavily frowned upon.

11. wadeed

wadeed Junior Member

s and r glass of owens corning is no good either?

12. wadeed

wadeed Junior Member

hull designs of 70s and 80s have no copyright protection by law as i read about it

13. wadeed

wadeed Junior Member

well everybody is doing it even i heard larson designer is sewing regal for copyright

14. wadeed

wadeed Junior Member

Protection under this chapter shall not be available for a design that is —

(1) not original;

(2) staple or commonplace, such as a standard geometric figure, a familiar symbol, an emblem, or a motif, or another shape, pattern, or configuration which has become standard, common, prevalent, or ordinary;

(3) different from a design excluded by paragraph (2) only in insignificant details or in elements which are variants commonly used in the relevant trades;

(4) dictated solely by a utilitarian function of the article that embodies it; or

(5) embodied in a useful article that was made public by the designer or owner in the United States or a foreign country more than 2 years before the date of the application for registration under this chapter.

15. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Splashing: don't do it. Be honest and work out an arrangement with a designer.