Infusion Plan

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jorgepease, Jun 4, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

take lots pictures !! they are good to have and analyse the process later after all has set hard . and even during the debaggibg and takig off all the plastic etc etc . i carry my camera always at work where ever i am and whar ever i an doing its always in my pocket !!
    :p

2. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Yes M80.

I have the exact dimensions back at my office. My laminate schedule is 2 layers of 12 oz 45/45 and 2 layers of 12 oz 0/90 placed alternating.

The hull is 21' long with an average width of 78" and sides have an average height of 10". I am not infusing the transom so sides are just two (2) and bow transom which is about 12" x 36"

Then I am using Airtech peel ply with the red stripes and an airtech perf release film, green. I was going to have some extra standing by just in case

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

If I have time I will get some video off my phone but for sure on the pictures I have a camera already set up on tripod that I can fire off every few minutes.

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

5. groper

groper Senior Member

im getting just on 26kgs of resin for your job, however the only parameter i dont have is how much resin your flow media soaks up. I have assumed 320grams per sq meter for the flow media i use in this calculation, and 1/2in dia resin lines total length 132 feet.

If your using greenflow, resinflow or aerovac flow mesh, it could be 500-600grams per sq meter in which case the total will be just on 30kgs resin.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

a flow warmer could simply be a barrel of warm water and a couple or 3 coils of you main feed line close to the mould coiled in the container of warm water . If its a biggish container the cooling effect will take a long time but the warming effect would be quite noticeable , along with a warm mould there you have it !!:). .

I think back to the days my wife was in hospital in the winter and rather than piling on extra blankets they warmed her blood in a simple simular divice just had warm water in it and the blood passed through 3 coils of a capliary tube and went back into her body . It had a very accurate thermostat to keep the water at a constant temprature ,after fitting it and making sure it was working in less than 5 minutes my wife was warm again all over . I was totally amazed :p

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

My laminate schedule is 2 layers of 12 oz 45/45 and 2 layers of 12 oz 0/90 placed alternating.

I am interested who gave you the laminate stack ?

Me i am always looking for the best way to place fabrics to get the most stiffness and best performance from each and every layer of glass !

My choice would Have been - 0/90 + 45 /45 +225 gram continuos strand matt + 45/45 + 90/0 !! THE double bias would have formed a solid glass core so to speak and the continuous strand as a tie layer to glass reinforce the resin layer between the 2 layers of 45/45, the 0/90 each side would have given longtudinal and athwartships stiffness ,The 0 strands to the outside and also the layer inside the boat flipped over so the 0 was also the outside of the stack just as i have written above .
    But thats Just me and what do i know !:p

8. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

My flow media is the green one from Airtech. That sounds like just about what I came up with too around 1000 ounces. MY lines are only 3/8 id but that should not be much difference.

What I figured I would do, since it's imperative this infusion succeeds, is mix a little extra on that second batch, and have some unmixed on standby just in case.

---------------------

I borrowed one from our engineer and it does not work very well. I think the ultrasonic is the way to go but I don't have $400-$500 to blow just at this moment.

--------------------------

The guy who drew the plans at Jaque at Bateau but he specifically said that he did not do the scantlings and if I bought my materials from them he would provide that but they don't have infusion materials so I don't get my scantlings.

However, the boat is only 12 inches high at the highest point, decked across the top with extra full height stingers and bulkheads every 24", that is going to be a pretty stout boat especially since it is just for flats fishing in the back country (Fl Keys). I will probably never take her more than 30 miles from my house.

-------------------------

9. groper

groper Senior Member

3/8in ID is fine, same as 1/2in OD, over here we size from the OD for some stupid reason, i prefer ID also and is what i used in the calc... you might also be interested to know that once this infusion is finished, and the media stripped off, your boat will then weigh 61.7kgs. 2 people would be ideal to flip it over...

I think your laminate is fine for a flats boat.

10. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

That's fantastic!! :)

My goal is to keep it close to or under the stitch n glue version which is spec'd at around 450 lbs and only drafts 2"

11. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

D Day, I didn't sleep very much making notes of every move I am going to make LOL :)

I found this bucket at Home Depot. It's pretty nice, looks like it would only hold a couple of gallons but it holds over 6, it's just spread out. The second pic is my mixing station ready to go.

Cheers everyone, Thanks for the fantastic input!

[​IMG]

12. groper

groper Senior Member

remember to watch the bucket, and dont EVER let the ends of the hoses come out of the resin, even for a second, or you will let a heap of air in. Remember, that resin will go quickly at the beginning.

13. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Groper, I started to lose vacuum pressure so I checked the bag again and found out what is going on.

The seam where I joined the bag I did not make a big overlap and it had turned and was being sucked into the resin inilet. The glue had somehow attached itself to the infusion media and made a barrier in areas.

I had to make the decision to abort. I ripped off the bag and just finished making a new bag but this time I am taping the seam after I glue it with that yellow glue.

3rd Bag!!! my nerves are frazzled but Im sure that glue would have acted like a dam and ruined everything, not to mention the leak which I could not patch. Anyway its on again in the morning. I will post here when its done.

I am doing a big batch like you said for first shot and then another smaller batch for second. I also covered the resin hoses with flow media, the bag was wrapping so tightly around them, I figured I would give them more seep room :)

Thanks again.

14. groper

groper Senior Member

oh yes, you must wrap the media around the resin lines or the bag blocks the resin flow... i run the resin lines ontop of the perf film, then once im done, simply roll the media over the whole lot. Otherwise, you have to cut strips of media and lay them over the resin lines, and hold them in place whilst you lay the bag, which i find is more of a pain in the ***.

And yes, i avoid joins in the bag as much as possible, the film i use is 14ft wide :)

15. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Ok, the lines are now wrapped with strips of infusion media, it is a pain! And this time I overlapped the join by 4 inches and taped the extra down so it can fold back and expose the glue.

Wish I could get a 14' bag, I didn't see any that sold them that size. On the plus side I made that bag fast and not a single wrinkle. Tomorrow I will attach it and if all go's well, infuse.

cheers, its miller time! :)