First Time Infusion Question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Johnfirstime, May 24, 2017.

1. Johnfirstime

Johnfirstime Junior Member

I am planning to prepare a wooden mold to vacuum infuse a one-off part which is approximately 7m in length. I will most likely be using body filler or a silicone caulking to cover all joints and screw heads on the mold surface. Is this typically the best method to seal an infusion mold and ensure it is air tight?

To date I have only infused parts on a glass surface which was easily sealed so that the epoxy resin did not adhere to the glass mold. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone can recommend a product which can be used to seal my wooden infusion mold. I plan to use an epoxy resin for the infusion and I need to take every precaution to ensure that the part does not get stuck inside the female mold. I am not concerned with the surface finish of the part but I need to make sure that the part and the mold are easily separated. Are there any roll-on coatings you can recommended (I do not have any paint spraying equipment) to be applied to the seal the wooden mold and produce an even pit-free surface so a release coating can be applied? I fear that using the thinner (more liquid) release waxes alone will be absorbed into the wood and not provide the surface protection I’m looking for. Just to clarify I will be using the vacuum infusion method and therefore I do NOT want the mold coating to be transferred to the part, I plan to apply a release wax overtop of any mold sealing compound.

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

3. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

I just use vacuum bag over the mold,spray glue it down.Dont have to worry about sealing the mold then.

4. Johnfirstime

Johnfirstime Junior Member

Thank you for the insight, have you had any issues with the adhesive not holding the vacuum bag down on the mold? I figured since the epoxy resin was unable to stick the vacuum bag that it would not be possible to find an adhesive to hold it down.