Infusion Mold Surfacing Question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Johnfirstime, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Johnfirstime

Johnfirstime Junior Member

I plan to use epoxy resin to vacuum infuse a part in a wooden female mold. In order to ensure there are no issues with demolding I was considering applying a polyurethane coating to the wooden mold to seal it prior to the application of any release coatings (the product I'm considering is from Varathane and it will be water based). Once the wood was coated with polyurethane and the surface has hardened I was then going to apply the wax and PVA coating to ensure the epoxy does not adhere to the polyurethane surface. I have never used such a coating before and was wondering if you guys would approve of this method or advise otherwise.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

2. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

If the mould is airtight and you are not going to gel coat the part (ie, it will be sanded and painted), cover the mould with thin plastic and/or brown packing tape and save a lot of work. If there is a flange, onto which you will be applying sealant tape, this needs to be sealed. Depending on mould size and shape, you ay be able to do this with brown tape. Otherwise a couple of coats of paint will suffice. Test everything first for airtightness and compatability.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Depending on the size and shape of the part it may work better with one method or another, there are sealers made just for this purpose that work well.