Infusion. How to fix material?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by open650, Mar 7, 2008.

1. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

l Like to use some surface tissue against thr gelcoat(but not always), Its best to get it on inside of 8 hours. I have done very little infusion but if I was gunna do a hull like that I'd maybe use some natural unpigmented gel so I could visually inspect the quality of the outside skin(if sandwich), maybe if I had done heaps & knew the quality behind the gel I,d start to use a pigmented gel, maybe epoxy layup would be a lighter/better choice for a race yacht. All the best from Jeff

2. open650

open650 Junior Member

Thank you!

In some recommendations I read, that atop of a peel ply recommend to put the punched film. What for it is necessary? If the peel ply and transfer layer all leaves from a surface of a laminate.

3. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

Open650

1.The perforated film is there so that the transfer medium and resin distribution lines can be removed easily leaving peel ply on to protect the laminate.
    2. If you are only going to make one boat then the mold can be built from the cheapest timber you can get, eg cut up 16mm MDF board into strips and strip plank the mould, fair and paint with two pack.
    3. For an Open 650 race boat I imagine weight is more important than print through, I would not use gel coat just paint later. Also if you have not done a lot of infusing then baing able to see the bottom laminate is also reasuring.
    Epoxy resin will also have less print through due to much lower shrinkage.
    4. Personaly I would not try to infuse the hull in one piece if you want to incorporate the deck flanges. The reason for this is that even with the use of spray adhesieve it will be almost imposible to lay the reinforcement cloth without geting some crimping. I would recomend that you build the hull in two halves and join together. I also dont see the need for deck flanges, simply put the deck on top of hull glue down with a coved radius on the inside, round over the outer edge and tape inside and out, nothing to leak this way and stronger too.
    5.Infusing with the grooved core will add 0.5 - 0.8kg/m2 depending on the core used compared to using resin transfer medium.