Infuse two sides foam at once

Discussion in 'Materials' started by MassimilianoPorta, Nov 14, 2019.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Can someone pm me the stack and method to infuse if I have perforated core? I don't want to hijack, but super curious and already have wet bag core. I would be able to do one side at a time if needed. I would be infusing 12mm Gurit M and 17 oz or 1708 (if needed for the infusion) for catamaran walls that are not integral to the hull. I have a vac table 4x16'. Thanks.

2. Eric ruttan

Eric ruttan Junior Member

Friend,
    Why are the male plug? Is flat against the table no good? Seems simpler.

If you want defined/sharp corners, run strips around the layup? Makes resin flow 'up' and into discharge, making the 'well' flood with resin, and easier to see dry areas, if any.

Advanced mode! Lay a flat sheet of MDF/whatever on top,and a bag on it, after infusion, when you know it is well wet out. Vac sheet onto layup. Nice flat top, squeeze any excess resin, and IF you have occluded dry spots, they gone.

Did you do a test? How are you sealing the bag?

3. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

I can give you a general guide for resin consumption but you should test your materials and create a spreadsheet to calculate the resin for each job accurately.
    Stitched glass; 50% of weight
    Peelply; 40g/m2, this is for light weight ~60gsm cloth
    Foam surface; 600g/m2, ie 300g each side. Grooves and perforations depends on the core, 520g/m2 for the core I used.
    Feed line and distribution line; calculate the volume of your tubes.

Remind us again why you want the MDF plug, also no need for the release film assuming the table and MDF is sealed and will be waxed or pva release used.
    Also don't forget a large resin break on the vacuum side.

4. MassimilianoPorta

MassimilianoPorta Junior Member

Maybe I have not been clear (sorry but english is not my first language...).
    I sketched a cross section of what I would like to achieve. Plese see picture below.
    Basically is a flat rectangular roof top for my boat with "extended" borders for extra stiffness, and I can't imagine any other way to achieve this but using an mdf (or XPS foam) plug.
    ttop-xsection.jpg

I am more than open to change process (wet bagging?) or approach if you think a better/easier result can be achieved in any other way... please suggest.
    AndrewK thank you so much for the general guide for resin consumption!

5. MassimilianoPorta

MassimilianoPorta Junior Member

This is the current roof top the previous owner installed.
    20190727_140352.jpg
    It is a very heavy hand laminated plywood core weighting 50 Kgs / 100 lbs.
    My goal is to replace it with something in the range of 10 Kgs/20 lbs.
    It has not to be walkable, just has to support the radar mount (which has a counter plate below), the solar panel and thermal camera etc.

6. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

You said that learning to infuse was your objective, provided that you already have a high vacuum pump (100%) then give it a go.
    But if your pump is not capable of full vacuum then do a wet bagging job.
    Your finished panel is going to be more than 10kg, more like 15kg if you use 600gsm laminates. Reason is that you need high density inserts under the hand rails and radome.
    You can also do the reverse of the plug, narrow border profile, less material required.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.