Information req regarding Van De Stadt designed yacht.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pogmahon, May 29, 2006.

1. pogmahon

pogmahon New Member

Firstly i'd like to say hello to all and as a new member to this forum i'm hoping someone can help me find out some more information relating to a Van De Stadt designed yacht which was manafactured in Hong Kong in 1974 ? She is 24' 10" LOA Masthead rigged GRP construction. My Dad bought her in Melbourne Australia in 1985 and as far as we can determine she was originally constructed in Hong Kong for a member of the French Embassy. She was shipped to Melbourne Australia and resold in the late 70's.

I have attached a couple of pictures of her both on the hard and in the water. Her keel was modified ie. made deeper by her Melbourne owner but apart from that information is sketchy.

She is still a member of our family and in a state of slow refurbishment still very seaworthy and very much loved !

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou in advance Graeme Grundill.

Attached Files:

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

3. pogmahon

pogmahon New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i did originally contact stadtdesign and they referrred me to their design book which from memory was around the $80 mark. I have no doubt that it would look very nice in my library but i can't quite justify the asking price.

I posted on the offchance that someone may recognise "Turmoil" and i may have found some information regarding her design etc within the forum.

Cheers Graeme.

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Graeme is “turmoil” the original name or did your dad change it. I have an old copy of the Victorian Yachting Guide “84-85”, which has name, sail numbers and owners, if it was in a yacht club.

5. pogmahon

pogmahon New Member

Turmoil is the name given to the boat by Mike Baker from Royal Victorian Yacht Squadron who was the second owner to the best of our knowledge. Her sail number was R246 which is the RMYS number associated with the above name.

She was originally name "Moira" but apart from this details are pretty sketchy.

Thanks again Graeme.

6. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Graeme sorry I can’t help. The names and owner don’t appear to be on the list of boats, the guide must have been printed after her sale as there is no R246 sail number registered

7. pogmahon

pogmahon New Member

Ok,

I appreciate your help.

Cheers Graeme

8. roseandpaul

roseandpaul Junior Member

Van de Stadt

Hi from another new subscriber! I know exactly what you mean about getting info from Van de Stadt - blood from a stone is way easier! If you go to the web-site www.stadtdesign.com/ and have a look at the NO. 416 - VAN DE STADT 26 "DOLPHIN" or the Design 635 "G2" you may perhaps see a similarity. There are a couple of other links you can follow from that page.

We hope you have more success than we did looking for info on the Van de Stadt Super Dogger. Minx II is also a much loved member of our family but as novice sailors and even more novice boat restorers the lack of info is very disheartening. It seems that if you are not in the market for a flash plastic fantastic Van de Stadt are not at all interested!:(

Good luck - paulandrose

9. Mananan

Mananan New Member

Van de stadt 24

Have recently acquired one of these boats in the UK would love to find more information on the Spirit if you can help

Mike

10. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I am very familiar with the Spirit 28 built by MB yachts? Is the 24 an IOR 1/4 tonner? If it is the one I am thinking of it has quite a broad transom for its time. Ones made in Australia were made with single fin keel and twin bilge keels. The bilge keeler was quite tender.

This shows a picture of the 24:
    https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats/ed.html?de=31199

This shows the 28:
    http://yachthub.com/index.html?page=list/ed.html?de=42018

Rick W

11. Mananan

Mananan New Member

Pics +comments

No mine has a narrow sloping transom and deep fin keel of 5ft and looks nothing like the 24 or the 28 shown Ill try and include some [ics next time around but still need info on the Spirit

M

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.