Build Pics - Bandido

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Timberwolf, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Timberwolf

Timberwolf Junior Member

Of all the pics I have, I picked 13 to best show the development of the framing, the skin layers and how the raised sheer and deck came together. Remember, I am very much the amature builder, I really did not know what I was doing when I started this project.

[​IMG]
    I built the frame section piece meal rather than from full sheets so I could shape each edge, then adjust the size to suit.
    In this first one, notice the support for the stem, it runs through the first 3 frames to the very tip of the bow.

[​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    I did not know what I was doing, even how to attach the bits together at the tip of the bow, but it turned out okay in spite of my lack of knowledge.
    This is a good shot to see the cross laminate style layup of the skin.
    This is one of my fav shots, you can see the dead rise at the rear and the flare at the front.
    Corner of the transom, 4 layers on the side, 5 on the bottom.
    How to build a 30' boat in a 20' garage, I kid you not, look at the square outline on the driveway where I sealed the temp walls.
    Ready to flip?
    Developing the raise sheer and a view of the interior bulkheads. This is also like the view over the deck while driving as that ply in the foreground is the bulkhead at the aft end of the cabin.
    The raised sheer in the original plans was 6" around the cockpit, less up front. I raised it to a full 12" but gave it grace by having it fall inward at the bow and angling the sheer above the transom (see pic 12)
    The raised sheer is still 12" even at the tip of the bow, just its almost at a flat angle, and another good shot of the flare sections.
    The last 2 give you an idea of the wedge shape I am building around the cockpit. I am going to carry this over the cabin space to give increased headroom where its most needed, the galley and the head.

2 people like this.
  2. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

Very impressive accomplishment and great pictures.

3. bentech

bentech New Member

:) nice job well done. looks like a fastlane 40

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Great job!

I think the appearance wins from the raised sheer. (would have supposed the opposite when asked)

5. Timberwolf

Timberwolf Junior Member

Thanks, but a little clarification if you don't mind. If I understand your comment correctly, you think the line drawn by the raised sheer enhances the overall look?

6. patech74

patech74 New Member

those pics are fantastic, they were very helpful for me. I cant wait to get started on mine. I also will have to "extend" my garage by about 15' to get a comfortable work area.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Sure!

If asked prior to having seen the result, I would have said no, that makes (almost always) the shape looking like "poor mans space" solution.
    In your case, the lines are looking better than the original.

Sometimes even experts opinion is just what it is... opinion. Life shows, we have to learn every moment we breathe....

Regards
    Richard

8. slowJEEP

slowJEEP New Member

Impressive boat.

No offense, but were these pictures taken 30 years ago?

9. Timberwolf

Timberwolf Junior Member

How did you know?

Why do you ask?

No offense taken, but it was actually twenty two years ago. I have moved around quite a bit since I started the build and have spent more time building new work shops for the boat than working on the boat itself. It's a long, sad story but I am still determined to see it finished.

10. slowJEEP

slowJEEP New Member

I feel your pain, I have a project that has goon too long as well.

What gave it away: The pictures have that old hazy look, the cars are old looking and the hubcaps on the boat trailer are for sure vintage.

11. Myoung42

Myoung42 Mechanical Engineer

wow, nice build. That raised sheer really finishes the look. I think this looks better than any other bandido on the glen-l site!

12. Timberwolf

Timberwolf Junior Member

Thanks Mark. I raised the sheer line for under deck headroom but did my best to keep it graceful. I am very pleased with the overall look and the space gained inside. I have one more trick up my sleeve for space at the aft end of the deck.
    I have not spent much time on the "Glen-L" site. Are there Bandido's there?
    The few times I did a search, I did not find much!

13. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

what are you going to use for power?

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Nice looking boat! Will the difference in the lowest set of strakes have any effect on handling?

15. Myoung42

Myoung42 Mechanical Engineer

glen l site bandido photos

you can find the photos under customer built photos at the left side of the site. then go to the archives and look up Bandido.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.