Information on Tempest Boats

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by JonEaton, Aug 28, 2006.

1. JonEaton

JonEaton Junior Member

I'm looking for some information on a 1978 Tempest I just recently purchased. I cannot find any information about them. I recently found a couple powerboats with the name tempest but they were built by Lund, and it only shows from 1974-75 and 18ft+ so I'm really not sure. Does anyone know about who made them and where?

Thanks

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

I think that the same molds were modified peterborough boats . There is a marina supplier in Ontario that has the original sales pamphlet, I am sorry I forgot there name.I will try to find it for you.(boatingwithdawsons.com) found it. I have bought from them before, good info.

3. JonEaton

JonEaton Junior Member

If you could that, that would be great. Thank you very much!
    Jon

4. Excalibur322004

Excalibur322004 New Member

Tempest

How big is your tempest? What kind of drives?

5. JonEaton

JonEaton Junior Member

I don't know exactly how long it is, some people say 17'9", it is a 1978, I can't find the DOT plate or any of the restrictions anywhere on it. I has an OMC 120 4cyl, 2.3L with and OMC 400 Strendrive on it, which I'm currently rebuilding (costing me an arm and a leg)

http://gallery.eatonit.ca/album01/P8010018?full=1

That's a picture of it, The hull design and style is quite common, but I have only seen two other tempests like it, and both owners had no idea.

http://gallery.eatonit.ca/album01/P8010014?full=1

In that pic the logo is up on the dash, hope that helps. Tempests are all sailboats when I google them, or multimillion dollar yachts. hmph

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

sinec you are in Toronto I'm going to assume you have a Tempest made in Canada.. The was a compnay in Mississagua that made boats of this type. They went out of business in 1995, If this boat has a Hull Identification number on the transom in the upper left corner, or on the registration papers, tell me the first three Character and I can tell you who made it. If it's ZTP then it's the company above.

There are seven companies that made boats called Tempest in the US and Canada. SOme of them made sail boats so that rules them out. But they other 4 or 5 made power boats.

7. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

That boat was common in the seventies. My only suggestion is to scrap the omc and try and retrofit in a merc. you will have to fill in the transom and recut. Parts for the early omc's are hard to find.I have seen many of those boats. I had one parked next to mine in the eighties. Nice boat and nice ride but underpowered for the size They were peterborough boat moulds with modified decking.Floors usually rotted out first(no glass) Good luck with the rebuild. Did you check out dawsons marine posted in my first responce. Go to their site and look up old boat brouchures. Its there.

8. JonEaton

JonEaton Junior Member

I went through that boat top and bottom and I can't find the ministry plate for it ANYWHERE. The hull ID number is inverted and on the top right corner of the transom. There's no way in hell I'm going to refit with a Merc. The OMC 120 has perfect 130-130-130-130 compression across, runs great, has all new ignition and points, I have the power tilt and trim motors on their way (I'm getting rid of the whale tails sopmebody installed) ha! the floor is solid and all fibreglass and the upholstery is in great shape with the exception of the back seats (they are all rotten but I'm going to redo them.) The only problems I have now between me and rockin' this bad boy on lake ontario is figuring overheating issue and why it's stuck in forward. Minor thousand dollar repair. :) I've taken the outdrive apart only to learn now some bumpkin was driving it with the tilt up so my ball gears are about 1/3 missing, but the whole boat and calkins trailer was 750 bucks so I really can't complain. Parts for that setup are not only common, but I live about 5 minutes from one of the biggest distributors of replacement parts for them. Ball gear set, $189, but it beats going 3 grand for a mercruiser that still may or may not blow something the first time I take it out?? not to mention I kind of like the stringer idea with the 75 degree tilt and the fact that it won't rattle my transom at idle. I'm going to get a 19 pitch prop for it, I doubt it will ever have anymore then me and a guest in it at any given time, so it should do what I need it to do. I will post a picture of the electrical wiring, you will get a good laugh at that. someone used trailer wire and speaker wire and electrical cords from what looks like a blender (they just wrapped the leads around a 3 prong wall plug for the bilge pump to battery)

9. doc_texoma

doc_texoma Junior Member

I found a 1995 Tempest XPE 27' on a hurricane message board for sale a year or two ago.. it was yellow, typical deep v sport boat style - but with some very cool differences.

I've found some tempest "yachts" that have the same progressive styling - but I have never been able to locate any more info on the 27 I found.

Does anyone know what boat I might be talking about? I realize its like searching for a needle in a haystack..

10. splicer

splicer Junior Member

I have a Tempest 17.5 feet 120 hp IB/OB Merc.
    it belonged to my father and he left it out for years not covered
    very well and the floor rotted. I have had the floor fixed now I also need to do the rear seats and the motor cover.
    I am having a problem with the trim when I reverse the trim comes up and if it is up it slowly drops. if any of you have any ideas I would love to hear them
    My father's friend had one and he claims they are the best boats built and I have found they are hard to find.
    I grew up on this boat and would love to get it back in working order so I can
    teach my kids to water ski and tube on the same boat I learned on
    thanks

11. splicer

splicer Junior Member

on my boat the hull ID number is on the top right of the transom as well
    try a pice of paper over the top coornor and scrape a pencil over it like we did as kids it may revel a hidden number good luck

12. fishingmachines

fishingmachines New Member

my tempest 23 continental

i have a 23 ft tempest openfisherman w/a center console cuddy i was told from owner that this particular tempest is built in italy maybe this is the reason why no one can find tempest,,,if anyone knows anything about my boat design please notify me

13. fishingmachines

fishingmachines New Member

regarding numbers

my tempest has a second number inside boat

14. SFlamos

SFlamos New Member

23 Tempest Contiental

I have the same boat nineteen 88 23 ftTempest open fisherman CC w/cuddy. I'v been looking for its origin for over 11 years. If you have any info about our boat , I would love to hear it. The only info I have was it may have been built in England. Please forward any info you have. Thanks STEVE

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.