Winch line entry angle

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by McLellan, Feb 21, 2006.

1. McLellan

McLellan New Member

Hello, I am a boatbuilder working on a large sailboat. I have been told the appropriate line entry angle to a deck winch from a block is 5-10 degrees(below the horizontal). Reason being, if the angle is more-the line will chafe on the skirt and wear on the winch because it's not pulling efficiently. If the angle is less, the line will over-wrap up the drum. This makes sense, but in our case to achieve just 12 degrees requires the footblock to be mouted on a tall base 7"-8" above deck. We can't move or tilt the winches any so this looks like our only option. Any thoughts?

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

How about a u or v shaped roller mounted in front of the winch

3. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Are the winches and turning blocks where the designer drew them?

If the designer couldn't get something as simple and obvious as fairleads to winches right, what does that say about the rest of the design?

I'm sure mounting a footblock that has double the sheet load 8" off the deck will not be a structural challenge. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, there are hundreds of boats out there (both production and custom) that don't have decent leads to the winches. If the designer didn't get it right, at least you are trying to make it as right as you can.

4. McLellan

McLellan New Member

Footblock tower

Thank you RHough and bhnautika, at the shop we all seem to have some reservations about the designer. You are correct, this is only one of many issues we've been dealing with. We can't use any rollers because the winches are perched on the edge of the aft house and the there's no room. I can't wait to see this double footblock on the side deck, it's going to be a tower.

5. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

McLellan I had a similar problem being close to the edge .I made the base of the roller/fairlead part of the winch base so it was all one piece.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.