Info on AwlGrip

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by EricP, Aug 6, 2006.

1. EricP

EricP New Member

When the manufacturer says below water line what are they say? Here is what i am doing, I justpurchased a 31 Ocean Master and would liek to remove the bottom paint and refinish back to original state, Can i use awlgrip to do that the boat is not stored in the water.

2. bntii

bntii Senior Member

I have spoken with US Paints (they make AwlGrip) about this. They recommend that Awlgrip not be used below the water line. If it is used, the vessel must not stay in the water any longer than 24 to 72 hours depending on sea temperature. I would only use this product below the water line if the boat were to be 'dry' sailed only.

"below the water line" means that part of boat which is allways under water

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

use two part epoxey for below the waterline,,gelcoat for above the waterline,,,,,,,awlgrip for the decks,,,longliner

4. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Many boat refinshers are using base/clear urethane paint and have had good success. Awlgrip is just protecting themselves. They don't want their paint sitting in the water for years on end, that could be a problem.

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

everthing has its application ,as far as I know awlgrip is for decks,never heard of it used below the waterline,,,,longliner

6. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Two part awlgrip is what we in the business call a long chain full polyurethane paint. It is very durable and TOXIC to spray. The trick to making it stay on is using a top quality epoxy primer. In my business PREP an PRIMER is more important than topcoat.

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Awlgrip says that because if they endorse below-waterline use, people will blame them when the bottom fouls and blisters after eight months in the slip. You say 'not stored in the water' but it is a 31 footer, and so whatever your intentions are right now, you probably won't haul it out on a trailer after every single trip. I'd look for something designed for hull bottoms if I were you.

8. bntii

bntii Senior Member

I spray lots of this stuff- On decks, spars, topsides (hull above the waterline). In these parts some use Awlgrip on race boats which are strictly dry sailed. These boats are stored on cradles, launched for a four hour race, and hauled back out. One of my clients asked if I would use this product on a 30' power boat which is stored on a boat lift. Hence my call to the tech rep at Awlgrip. They answered that the product is fine for boat bottoms just so long as the boat is not in the water. Sorta funny if you think about it. They further allowed that the boat could enter the water for short periods and the product would still be fine. I was able to talk my client out of using Awlgrip as he was sure that he would want to use the boat for some weekend long trips. The paint would have probably been fine but if it failed it would be on me :<(. He went with gelcoat. Awlgrip is a really great product but can fail under certain conditions. I can tell you its a bit discouraging to see a $10,000 paint job go to pot if the boat was shrink wrapped too tight for too long

9. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

interlux has a a antifowl epoxy paint which is design for the hull below waterline it looks good have used it in the past

10. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

I once did my boat with AwlGrip antifouling, all I can say It was the best though that was in 1989 we sailed for 3 years in the Caribbean and never re did it until home in Finland, epoxy primer and right on a grey, grey, red, red, blue, blue six coats and leaving the Indies we inspected it we were down to red behind the s dive (prop wash) and right behind the keel, 2 times we paid the locals with snorkels to do a quick scrub. as for their surface paints, they excellent on masts, and where ever you want to use them but this was way back, nowadays with all the regulations I don’t have a idea how they perform.