fiberglass poly

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bwhntrjsh, Dec 15, 2009.

1. bwhntrjsh

bwhntrjsh New Member

Hello all new to boatbuilding and this forum hope someone could help. Does anyone know of a way to epoxy a peice of 3/8 to a fiberglass flat bottom. I want to build a fiberglass boat w poly (airboat poly) but dont want to drill holes because it would be a sealed deck.
    thanks josh

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You need to define your questions more. For example a 3/8 what? Lets assume you mean an inch. Okay, of what? Lets assume you mean plywood. Drill holes in what, the plywood, the boat hull? Why would you drill holes and why couldn't these holes be filled if you had to drill holes?

As you can see there are more questions and assumsions about your questions, then I have answers. So, if you could refine your questions, maybe tell us about your boat, what it is, how it's made, what you're trying to do in more detail so assumsions can be avoided.

3. bwhntrjsh

bwhntrjsh New Member

it will be a fiberglass hull flat bottom i want to put a 3/8" polymer,slick plastic to slide across water very easily . the polymer will need to come off at some point to replace it. For an air/fan boat.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you'll be using the usual high modulus plastics as everyone else, then you'll have to fasten them, as these plastics don't glue well, especially under the abuse they'll see.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.