Inflatable boat construction

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by odysseus, Jun 8, 2006.

1. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Good advice, I hadn't thought about the stretch. You are right about the seam tape, not only for the wicking of air because the polyester fabric is not "wetted" by the urethane. Also, wherever the edge is exposed water can get in. I see two risks due to this: Water freezing to ice, and salt crystal growth (which has a similar effect as ice, but requires repeated exposure to salt water followed by complete drying in many cycles). Thus, seam tape seems necessary at least on the outside.

Any recommendation where to get it from?

2. Sealion

Sealion Glue Sniffer

Yes, check the stretch carefully. For example,the fabric I generally use will stretch aprox 0.6% along the weft and at the same time shrink by 0.1% along the warp when inflated to working pressure (2.5 - 3.0 psi)

With the size of tubes you intend to build, and the width of your fabric, you can cut all your seam tapes from the edge of the roll. It is advisable to cut the selvedges off any way as these edges cannot be guaranteed to be straight. For seam tapes that do not require tensile strength (i.e inside tapes over overlapping joints) I cut strips off a sheet of 1mm neoprene without a textile backing. This gives a very stretchy tape ideal for sealing the cut edges around the insides of tailcones etc. As E Hanson has said. some fabrics are prone to wicking air through the textile backing.
    One tip- before you apply solvent or adhesive to tapes without a textile backing, stick them down onto masking tape or they are liable to curl up.

3. Sealion

Sealion Glue Sniffer

Baffled?

The baffles between compartments should not be tight, but allow for differing pressures in adjacent compartments to be equalized, by moving one way or the other. I use cone shaped baffles as they are easy to construct and fit. The baffle has to be glued on both sides, otherwise it will peel away from the inside of the tube if the pressure is greater on the unglued side. I will attach some sketches and photos to show how I make and fit baffles. I use a fibreglass former, but for a one-off you could shape one from foam and cover with polyester bodyfiller. Alternatively, A 5" wide hoop made from thin plywood would do.

More diagrams in a minute

Attached Files:

4. marrio

marrio New Member

to SEALION Hi, I by chance fell under this forum, and saw that you are a very good in the make of inflatable boats. I am from bulgaria-sofia and invite you to excuse me for my poor english. Started Make a boat from pvc I to do size numbers 4,50-2,20, a diameter of the tube balloon-41-centimeter, and to inflate the two Long It makes the balloon but I now have problems with pattern the curvatures (turn) Her bow of the sea boat. Long Make parts Be 3,30 М. Pray A help -plans. Thanks. marrio@data.bg

5. joakimhansson

joakimhansson Junior Member

6. Customtech

Customtech New Member

Sealion

In your opinion: I have a 11' inflatable that I wanted to make 4' longer. Would it be worth it? I have done extensive glue and fitting in making Tarps for Flatbed trucks.

The bottom has come off and will need to be reglued. My thought was to make a 4 1/2' extension and fit it between the front chamber and the rear. Would it need an inside chamber?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

7. marrio

marrio New Member

some pictures-under construction:)

Attached Files:

8. marrio

marrio New Member

1 boat

Attached Files:

9. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

Video Class

SeaLion, you should put together a video on DVD teaching construction techniques. Would be great to work at my own pace to develope the required skills. Set yourself up a PayPal account, I'll be your first customer. Man I thought I was bad when I consrtucted things in the basement, but the living room, wow!!!!!!!! MRS. Mario must be some kind of woman:D :D :D

10. AShley5031

AShley5031 Junior Member

Weird idea for an inflatable boat

Here is a weird idea.....I live in Brazil and the inflatable boats here are ridiculously expensive. I need a tender for my sailboat. How about taking a really large truck inner tube and inflating it around a fixed base made of some rigid material like fibreglass? Then the tube would take the form of the base. Could this work?

Ashley

11. Roofdoggie

Roofdoggie New Member

Home made inflatable pontoon barge

I am adding to a 5 year old thread
    Hope it's still alive !

I am planning to make an inflatable barge for recreation (to haul gear & use as a play platform)
    I am a roofing contractor & frequesntly use PVC roofing membrane & have the tools to heat weld it.
    There are unlimited ways to go w the design- but Im thinking to base it on 2 or 3 big pontoons which will be easy to weld up. I don't know where to get fill valves - or if they could be heat welded to roof grade PVC.

Anybody out there w some hints ???
    Bob
    Redmond, WA

12. Roofdoggie

Roofdoggie New Member

Roof doggie

Thats the kind of thing that I would try. A truck innertube is designed to be in the shape of a truck tire. If you fiddle with that shape you compromise the strength & thickness of the rubber. It would probably sort-of work but I don't think it would be reliable. (this is just my opinion) It wouldd be fun to experiment with

13. 8chenuu

8chenuu New Member

Try these Halkey Roberts valves. They are used for Dinghy Dogs and should be what you need.

14. Roofdoggie

Roofdoggie New Member

Thank you !

15. corsarul

corsarul New Member

Hello! ... are in Romania, and will present about how we worked RIB tubes that it's built.
    I found your forum very interesting, and I want to learn a lot from here with you.
    The tubes you see in the pictures (are PVC 900g \ m), unfortunately, I broke because I used a UV often NOT resisted.
    Please indicate to me a quality often leads to do the job! Thank you!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.