Mask Filter choice?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Leon01323, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Leon01323

Leon01323 Junior Member

Sorry if this the wrong place but i could not see where else to put it.

Was wondering if i could have your expertise on choosing a mask as i figure you guys would know which one to use, Ive emailed the company that makes them and they will only let me see the range they do and not tell me which one ( i guess they are just covering their back)

I was bought a new mask for my Birthday and now need to get the right filter, it came with the grey and white one second from the top but when i tried it for a few minutes i could smell the resin so when out to rethink.

working with fibreglass seems to suggest i need a combination filter as there are the partials and the fumes. The choice ive got are these:

[​IMG]

If any of you could suggest the right one or the " best one " and second best that would be a great help.

Thanks again

2. bntii

bntii Senior Member

3. Leon01323

Leon01323 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, so i should get the one above which is the brown and white one which says:

"Gases and vapours from organic compounds
    with a boiling point above 65°C, solid and
    liquid hazardous particles, e.g. radioactive
    and toxic substances and micro-organisms"

does that sound right? or there is one for compounds with a boiling point below 65 degrees, no idea if that is relevant thats the thing

Thanks again

4. bntii

bntii Senior Member

I don't know with certainty why the boiling point is being referenced. I guess I would call the product company or consult the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for a clear recommendation on which filter to use.

5. Leon01323

Leon01323 Junior Member

I have just found the email address for them and sent them an email, will see what the suggest as everyone else ive contacted that distribute them have said they dont know.

Thanks

6. Herman

Herman Senior Member

You need the CF22 A2P3 type, which is the brown/white type.

The A2 is the fumes filter, the P3 is the particles filter.

Over here I use a combination of A2, P3 and a prefilter, which keeps the P3 filter alive longer.

When not in use, clean it out, put it in an airtight box, and preferably in the fridge. This will keep the filter alive longer. Keep in mind that the filters are consumables, so after a while you will need to replace them.

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...9Zgs_JK1SBGQJFL_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv)&rt=d

This mask has the clip on dust covers over the top of the filter ,i have used these for more years than i can remember . just the vapor filter gets changed about every 2 months or so in regular use and the dust filters every couple of days . 3M also have anitseptic mask wipes as well come in a box of 100 .I always write the date on the element so i know how old they are . if im not using my mask for a while i toss the filters and fit new ones when i start working again !!, i always have my own spares i take with me . Have been to many differant countries and never had a problem finding 3M stuff and it all fits !!:D

8. Herman

Herman Senior Member

All well, but this guy already has the mask, he just needs the filters to go with them....

9. Leon01323

Leon01323 Junior Member

Hey guys thanks for the reply, I got a brown and white one today and gave it ago, now and again i got a slight smell of the resin, just a brief bit, is that common or it where ive moved and the mask has moved a bit? Ive got a full face mask which does fit tight to my head.

Thanks for all the help, with your posts youve just made the "scott" filter help line look like children, the lady just said i needed a P3 filter to which i said yes, there are not about 10 to choose from hahaa.

Thanks

10. Herman

Herman Senior Member

You should not smell anything, if all is correct. If you do smell something, it is probably due to air coming from leak paths along the mask.

11. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

And remember to shave more regularly !! you whiskers will allow air between the mask and you skin as the stubble with hold the mask away !! Filters are filled with Charcoal and when the have absored all the fumes they can take throw them its why i said write the date on the mask . comtinuous use 2 months tops or even less . :D

12. Leon01323

Leon01323 Junior Member

Yer that may have been a school boy error on my part as i have a " trendy boy" beard will have to shave that off :)

13. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Which of the 2 is you?

[​IMG]

14. Leon01323

Leon01323 Junior Member

defiantly the one on the left hahah

15. LP

LP Flying Boatman

An added bonus is if you have hay fever or other air borne partical allergies, the masks will filter these out, also. I have horrible hay fever in the fall and on the days I was working with the mask on, I could stay out all day without a single sneeze attack.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.