Indonesia - any travel tips?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Tomorrow I'm leaving for Indonesia on a business trip for a week. I will be traveling to the Island of Sumatra and stay in the city of Medan.

Anyone been there that has first hand experience of the place - what to do or not to do, tips etc?
    Any other general info of Indonesia that may be helpful also welcome:cool:

Bad part, traveling with the old bird....:(

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I was there 6 years ago. If it is still the same don't let the old girl loose in any of the perfume shops. It was low cost but that just encourages them to spend up.

There is a current dispute between Australian government and Indonesian government regarding the travel warnings in place. Their tourism has been hit hard for many years now. So the government is trying to get more visitors but I am not sure if the locals really want this.

If you do not have a trusted guide or driver supplied by your business then you should get some advice on where you might run into a crowd that is not really friendly. On the other hand I always feel safer in Indonesia than RSA.

I think Indonesia is still one of the countries that do not keep statistics on road deaths. Meaning they do not care a lot about it. So beware when driving. If you have a driver never tell them you are in a hurry. That becomes an excuse to put your life at serious risk. If you get a good driver appointed then they can be very helpful. Find out what sort of tip they are due before you get to the last day.

I saw two road deaths in 6 days when I was there last time. One was a horrible site and I still vividly recall it. Bangladesh is the only place that scares me more on the roads.

You probably have to decide if you want to support software piracy or not. It has been 3 years since I have been out and about in that part of the world and it is gradually being stamped out but probably still available. If you do aim to get DVDs make sure they are a compatible system with what you have. Some are really crappy anyhow. They are actually videos of a screen. You can also find that the code key for the $10 version of Autocad is only the temporary and will expire after 30days. Same thing as you can download and test anyhow. Most of the software is just a waste of money.

The countryside is luscious compared to what I am used to looking at here. Maybe one or two more palm trees than necessary.

I am trying to think if I got a cat ride from Medan to Singapore or if it departed from further South. Anyhow the big cats are impressive if you get a chance to take a ride. It was not a long trip so must have been closer than Medan.

Have fun. Tell us about it with some photos. Hope the business is boats.

Like any of these places be wary of the tap water. Also wipe the tops of any cans or bottles before you pour a drink or sip from the bottle. You never know what wildlife has crawled over it in transit or in storage at the back of the shop. You would be unlucky to get a bad tummy in a week but if you do it will kill the fun. Can make a long flight absolute agony. If you are not used to spicy food then be careful. Those bits of capsicum maybe something much stronger - can give a burning ring of fire.

Rick W

3. masalai

masalai masalai

"When in Rome do as the Romans do"... Indonesia is a Muslim country - respect their social rules and do not offend their social standards (no alcohol etc.) publicly... and enjoy the cultural experience of the righteous, not the sinners....

4. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

wyn
    go to www.virtualtourist.com it has 1million members, people from all over post experiences of the travels, warnings dangers, and also the natives post about the best places to be, just type the town you will be in in the search

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Thanks guys - leaving within the hour, but Ill be back...:D

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Rick,
    Your description there could just as well have been of here. Mobs you don't want to run into, the trafic... good grief you should see these taxi's drive, it will make the Indonesians look like a bunch of sissies.

As for the water we have sewage in our's and we're starting getting food problems too apart from the power they are not cutting untill after the coming elections when they have a stiff increase in store for us, heard it's going to be 100%.

So I don't think Wynand will encounter anything you don't already get here.

Ok maybe not in the Free State :D

7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Take medication that suit your need from your country... As dosage vary from different country.
    Do not wear Hawaii palm shirt or you have no chance getting a fair bargain.
    Photocopy paperwork... Keep the original safe. Change only enough currency for your use.
    Digestion and allergy pills is a must to carry always. Drink from a can or bottle with familiar brand.
    If doubt local food boild egg is good... No viral or poison... Rarely anyway.
    Get a good map and rent a daily car cheaper that way. U get free translator anyway.
    Pray a lot and play more... Good luck

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

I am shure he will.................
    next time, because he is almost nearly back already...............:idea:

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hey brother
    whats up
    you are supposed to be back by now and let us know what happened:D

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Manie, your blocks are ready. That's all that's happened :D

Oh you mean Wynand. He's probably lying on the biiitch I mean beach getting his back rubbed. He's not coming back :D

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hey Fanie, I should be able to get to you Friday
    my job is interfering with my life again :D

Bloomin Wynand is obviously having a good time - lucky fish :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.