Independent Cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TeddyDiver, Jan 1, 2008.

1. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Without any consideration about hull form, mono vs multihull, rigging etc, I'm collecting information about the most important items and equipment to have when cruising remote locations. Considering also the need of maintenance and/or reliability of different models.

Like:
    watermaker
    solarpanels
    heater

And further, what could be really usefull if there's a such thing used/invented:)

Like:
    Cooking gas generator (biogas? hydrogen eletrolysis?) if you happen to like cooking with gas

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Ted, For me, the key is KISS (keep it simple...) Have a look at "masalai's model movie" which has links to my gallery. My objective is to cruise at around 15 knots using less than 1 litre a N Mile. I intend to cruise in the tropics & can also burn coconut oil if diesel is hard to get. No heating or aircon, yes to watermaker because of weight issues with a cat hull form, 2000kg fuel capacity as primarily a power vessel. Parasail is an option for aft of beam breezes. Most cruising yachts I know sail downwind, as who wants to make hard work of it.

Brian Eiland's aft mast is an interesting & working solution (Mainsails & booms are not good for lazy cruising). Try also googling John Hitch, his "hitchhiker" layout for cats is effective for beam/down-wind sailing (no main/boom & can also point a bit) as the genoas on furlers go to each hull bow, with a spinnaker pole make excellent wing-on-wing downwind sailing, no tacking as roll up windward sail using only leeward sail. John is off cruising somewhere in the Pacific... again.

Fit a good autopilot & carry some spares. I like the idea of a 24 or less mile radar for anchor watch capability & night passages under iron sails (power)

I am planning to use gas BBQ & a 2 burner stove. with that I can produce gourmet meals for up to 6 people. I can't do without my notebooks & charger for them & cameras (photography is my hobby) so need some battery capacity beyond nav & lights (minimal & led-lights) for small inverter to charge/drive hobby stuff.

Refridgeration & freezers - the 12v chest types of around 80 to 100 litres as independent units - use/power up only as needed (fish you catch). I am planning on 3 units which can be set as either fridge of freezer temperature settings.

Large screw top plastic drums make washing machines (use motion of ship & slow wash for a day - very little soap/detergent - or wash whilst showering together then rinse, & hang clothes out to dry)

Practice at home trying out how little you need & what you can do without. My motto is "if I don't use it in 6 months I don't need it - sell, give or throw away"

1 person likes this.
  3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I like Brians aft rig too. Actually giving a lot of consideration to it. However calling it "backstay cutter" sounds better to me anyways :)
    Heater is must for me bcs first cruise, after getting my project wet someday, heads to North, and means some cold breezes becouse I'm now at 70 N ;)
    About the auxiliaries I'm searhing around, I'm mostly intrested how thrustworthy different brands/models are. So instead of an autopilot (or besides that) thinking about windrudder (no electronics where it can be avoided)
    I have bad time uploading Realplayer, so couldn't yet see your video.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Have you tried one of those heaters based on the pulse jet principal? apparently quite efficient & burn diesel - very compact & safe. I saw on in a westerley seranade 37? mono I helped to deliver a bit. It came from Thailand & ended near Melbourne/Tasmania????

That is a British production yacht I think & fitout was european so easy for you to find & fuel. Engines depend on hullform & speed you expect. Some swear by non-hi-tech not common rail etc, others suggest popular brands such as Volvo, Yanmah, avoiding the high speed stuff. Lots to check out there.

The video is the apple format (Quick time) make sure you have that plugin/codec or whatever, then it will run OK. When the weather clears up here I will do more runs & gather some (hopefully useful) data for posting on the net.

The maine Cat also has a similar hull form but too close together for my liking (my beam is 22 ft) for 43 LOA. - I like open - empty - space.
    http://www.mecat.com/indexpower.htm

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks for the cudos. - - Also I believe diesel powered stoves are available. reducing the number of different fuels (with consequent explosive risk), that need to be stored & carried. I currently tend to favour gas at the present time.

The demands of a female companion may force issues such as means to iron clothes - electrically - convenience. A SMALL microwave to re-heat or produce quick hot snacks. Oven to make bread ("camp ovens" readily available from camping stores in Australia, made from heave cast iron - including lid - allow oven cooking on a hot-plate or on shore using a shovel full of glowing embers).

6. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Not very fond of diesel stowes, unreliable, smelly when not working properly...
    Female companion is afraid of water :D so no problem..

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The Dickinson Oil fired ranges give superb heat , but might be a bit much in the tropics.

A watermaker takes power and very frequent maint , a tank doesnt.

Primus stoves are out of favor with the instant gratification set , but a 5gal can of kero will keep most folks cooking and baking for at least a year.

A manual windlass never has the smoke come out or kill the batteries.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.