Incredible Scow (from SA)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Super Scow

There has been some discussion lately about scows and I couldn't find this thread so here it is. A canting keel scow surely allows the thing to be self righting but I wonder if just the minimum keel to right the boat was used with some form of on-deck movable ballast? And, of course I'd bet curved lifting foils would add speed...

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Noyes

Daniel Noyes Junior Member

Interesting Doug any further word on this design?

The scow concept is at it's core a extremely low drag one, in displacement mode and in planeing mode, to generate lift with a curved foil will also generate drag
    I'm not convinced that the drag of generating lift will be off set by a reduction in hull drag by lifting the hull out of the water... infact the scow uses it's long sailing-waterline length vs width when heeled to attain a high hull speed... if you start lifting the hull out of the water you rapidly reduce the lenght of the sailing-waterline but wont affect the width that much

I wonder if a curved foil might allow the scow to carry sail in stronger winds though and attain a higher top speeed

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I haven't heard anything more but I bet with the incredibly decisive victory in the Mini Transat by David Raison in the Mini Scow we'll be hearing at lot more about the type.
    At least until Welbourns DSS mini gets going! http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/mini-ocean-racing-scow-39114-5.html

rough sketch-curved foil on tunnel hulled scow. Won't do much for RM but would reduce wetted surface for sure.

Attached Files:

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Doug, the foil configuration you have sketched will move the vertical lift inwards, and thus will reduce the RM.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

--------------------
    Slavi, you're right. The curved foils on small cats do the exact same thing and they have deterimined that the reduction in RM is worth the increase in vertical lift for a net reduction in drag and increase in speed.

picture: NACRA 20 curved foils:

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.