Inboard ski boat repower options

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by phlipski, May 4, 2006.

1. phlipski

phlipski New Member

I've got a 1993 ski-ray sportster open bow - it's your fairly typical inboard ski boat. The boat weighs almost 3000 lbs fueled up. Power is by a mercruiser 350. Now the engines got plenty of life left, but I've been wondering lately about if I had to say rebuilt the engine tomorrow, what other options do I have for a re-power.

There are plenty of diesels out there, and I thought that well seeing as how I don't really need a top end of 45 miles an hour, I could give up about 10mph for better fuel efficiency. Also since I probably spend 80% of my ski time at the wake-board speeds of 18-25 mph, a diesel gear correctly could be the perfect fit. However the damn things weigh just as much if not more than an iron block 350. 1000+ lbs.

So this leads me to start thinking about other gas engine options. It doesn't look like there are too many marinized aluminum block LS1's out there, which might be perfect, since it's lower weight would certainly be nice. Then I started wondering about Inline-6's. Does anyone marinize the chevy 4.2 I-6 used in the trailblazer suv's?

Anyone else have any thoughts? My goal would be to stay around 250hp but shed about 250lbs of engine weight.

-John

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

In diesels, consider the Yanmar LP series: http://www.yanmarmarine.com/products/product_lp.php
    In some cases they are actually lighter than the equivalent gas engine. (But there's a price premium of up to $6,000 over a comparable gas motor.) The 6LPA-DTP, at 380 kg for 260 hp, might suit you.
    Malibu has built some ski boats with the LS1. I haven't seen marinized versions anywhere else.
    Almost any 'crate' car engine can be converted to a boat engine with a bit of effort and knowledge.

3. StianM

StianM Senior Member

4. julius750

julius750 Junior Member

I can supply stainless watercooled headers which will bolt up direct and add 10-15% HP and torque and save you around 60kg weight.

5. z06norway

z06norway New Member

could you PM me with a quote for these headers , they do fit LS2 ? right`?

TIA

Rune Y

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The yanmar 6Lp is really the way to go, but yeah there not cheap. Actually its a Toyota Lancruiser engine 1HD. With a bit,--- well a lot of carefull marinisation you would have a good motor. I belive they,--Yanmar-- have bits that make it fit right into the Mercruiser hole.

7. julius750

julius750 Junior Member

LS1 or LS2 AUD$2,790.00 pair in powdercoat finish. If you want o2 sensor ports, AUD$75.00 each. packing /freight extra. Please email to info@victorianmarinetechnology.com.au with more details on your drive type as we make the riser to suit specific applications.
    Regards,

Julius

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.