fiberglasss over wood pontoons

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by wade, Sep 10, 2004.

1. wade

wade Junior Member

I can about imagine what I am about to hear but I have to ask anyway. I was rebitten by the fishing bug this summer and want something comfortable to lake fish in alone and with the lady and our four kids. We borrowed a pontoon boat and I was astonished how comfortable it is. I have been a bit of a snob about them I have to confess. Since I am both cheap and poor and can build almost anything I have been looking at old Popular Mechanics plans of pontoons. My Question,,, What are the cons of building a plywood pontoon and then completely enclosing the pontoon with glass and polyester resin. I can get a real good deal on the resin and feel if I could get 5 to 10 years of use out of them I'd be happy.,,,, okay boys tear my idea apart !
    Wade

2. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

I think you would use a lot less wood and fiberglass if you built a monohull. If you like simplicity, how about a flat bottom skiff? There are plenty of plans out there for such boats. Also, you should use epoxy for plywood construction.

Joel
    Boatbuildercentral.com

3. larry v

larry v Junior Member

Being a wooden boat builder i think it is a cool plan. If you need any advice or designs let me know. I build mahogny sea going kayaks, there tuff as nails and last a lifetime with proper up keep. The biggest problem with polyester resin is it turns white in water. I would put three or four coats of spar varnish over it. By the way katamarans would be pontoon boats if not for the sail. Hope this helps and good luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.