volvo md7a replacement with yanmar 1GM10

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by marto, Jan 9, 2007.

1. marto

marto Junior Member

I'm planing to replace the engine on a santana 30 sailboat
    it was fited before with a 13 hp two cilinder volvo md7a and 2:1 transmision and folding prop.
    Is it a good Idea to replace with a yanmar 9hp one cilinder that runs at the same rpm @ 3600 . normaly from factory they leave the engines runing very lite so I suppose the md7a was not at his limit using that prop.
    I was using a force 15 outboard before that push the boat at 6 1/2 nots at 3/4 trotle.
    I'm also planing to use the same volvo transmission and build a connection plate to stik them together.
    I'm new in the forum, thanks very much.
    Martin

2. marto

marto Junior Member

see if some one get intrested

well another quest waht over power a boat needs to be safe in rough weather, lets have a boat with hull speed of 7'2 knots and I requierd 11 hp for hull speed in normal weather conditions , waht hp to prop would be safe , por example to breake into waves.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Assuming the propeller was properly sized, it will be too big for the Yanmar. The hull speed of the boat is about 6.6Kt, so the outboard is sized just right. A 9HP in windy conditions may let you do 4Kt or so.

4. marto

marto Junior Member

whell looks taht I will have sail more, spent more in sails, and go

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.