volvo 280/ 270 swap questions.

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by lilmandavis, Jan 9, 2007.

1. lilmandavis

lilmandavis New Member

I have a 2450 ciera sunbridge. Its got the 305 chevy aq225 with the 280 drive. the drive is so clamed and corroded up its useless to fix i think. Plus its rusted halfway up the dipstick and the oil is all white....I also have a volvo 270 complete drive from the bell housing back. the 270 bell housing isnt for a chevy though. will the 305 bellhousing work off the 280 on the 270? i understand that the ujoints are identical so could i swap out the yokes and bolt the 280 bell housing up to the 270 drive? thanks.

2. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

It should work just fine. They are very interchangable. I put a 270 outdrive from the steering helmet down on a 200 transom plate once and am currently running a 280 drive on a 270 transom plate without any issues. The portion of the bellhousing that bolts to the transom plate should be interchangable for either drive.
    I know someone who replaced his 280 drives with SP drives and never touched his transom plate. Hope this helps.
    -Tom

3. lilmandavis

lilmandavis New Member

Hey thanks for the confidence boost. Im going ahead with the project. The more I dig into numbers, the more im thinking i actully have the 280 instead of the 270.. I think that someone put a 270 shift cover on it. or possibly swaped the upper and lower with a 280.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.