Inboard outboard?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by stonedpirate, Sep 6, 2015.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Submarines run through hull shafts so i don't think we have much to worry about. Pirate wants an inboard overboard outboard. Sounds like a lot of parts.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You should secure naming rights to that ! :D

3. whitepointer23

Imagine what the engine box would look like.

4. Mr Efficiency

Stoner comes up with imaginative ideas.

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

What about an overboard inboard, I seem to remember reading about an inboard mounted to a pod that sat behind the transom.... the Jetsons age has arrived I'm sure.

Jeff

6. whitepointer23

There was a 30 ft skippercraft on ebay a while back that had 3 diesels. 2 Hamilton jets and a shaft drive in the middle. What the hell was that built for.

7. Mr Efficiency

Must have been sitting well down in the water. A unique vessel by the sounds of it.

8. whitepointer23

It certainly was. The 2 driving the jets were mounted on a slight angle .it was one weird setup.

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

There was a 30 ft skippercraft on ebay a while back that had 3 diesels. 2 Hamilton jets and a shaft drive in the middle. What the hell was that built for.

Speed on the 2 jet drives and low speed efficiency on the single prop.

10. Mr Efficiency

That may well have been the theory, Fred, but how well it would actually perform is doubtful ! Must be the only boat of that size to have three diesel engines, surely.

11. whitepointer23

Good point . But why bother with jets when 3 props would be faster and more economical. The shaft in the middle lost any shallow water advantage it might have had.

12. FMS

FMS Senior Member

I learned from BoatUS ( http://www.boatus.org/guide/boat_7.html ) that my assumption stern drive bellows are less reliable than suffing boxes was incorrect. (Including the lack of attention commonly given to bellows.)

BoatUS reported

50% of dock sinkings are due to leaks below the waterline.
    32% of claims were from scuppers which should have stayed above the waterline.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What these statistics don't show are the real facts, which simply are that 99% of these leaks are from boneheaded owners lack of maintenance. Trusting 30 year old thru hulls, 40 year old bellows, etc. are very common things down here in bonehead boater land. They get pissed, when they bring the new to them thing over and say, "make it safe enough for my mom" and they see the parts list I present. All the classic comments, "those thru hull hoses look fine to me", etc., etc., etc.

It's a different age. Now, it's uncommon for an owner to serve up a whole Saturday for annual maintenance, they'd rather wait for something to break or leak, before addressing it.

14. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I have told people for years (people that complained about their boats leaking) there are very few boats that don't leak. What's crucial is how much it leaks. Besides, most boats that sink do so at the dock from rain or having some catastrophic failure of a thru hull fitting. Eliminate as many thru hulls as possible and it minimizes the risk. However, some are unavoidable, like prop shafts, or I/O gaskets.

15. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Indoor toilets strike again!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.